EventsEventsPodcasts
Loader
Find Us
ADVERTISEMENT

Prince Harry and Meghan asked to leave their UK royal home in further family rift

FILE - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Duke and Duchess of Sussex visit the track and field event at the Invictus Games in The Hague, Netherlands, Sunday, April 17, 2022.
FILE - Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Duke and Duchess of Sussex visit the track and field event at the Invictus Games in The Hague, Netherlands, Sunday, April 17, 2022. Copyright AP Photo
Copyright AP Photo
By Euronews with AP
Published on
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button

UK media reports that King Charles has offered Frogmore Cottage, in the grounds of Windsor Castle, to Prince Andrew.

ADVERTISEMENT

Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, have been asked to vacate their London home, suggesting a further fraying of ties with the royal family amid preparations for the coronation of his father, King Charles III.

Frogmore Cottage, in the grounds of Windsor Castle west of London, had been intended as the couple's main residence before they gave up royal duties and moved to Southern California. The Sun newspaper reported that Charles started the eviction process on 11 January, the day after the publication of Harry's explosive memoir "Spare."

“We can confirm The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage,” a spokesperson for the couple said in statement.

British media have reported that King Charles has instead offered Frogmore Cottage to his brother Prince Andrew. 

Disclosures Harry made in "Spare" deepened the rift between him and his family. The book included his account of private conversations with his father, and his brother, Prince William.

After they left Britain, Harry and Meghan had said Frogmore Cottage would remain their base when they visited the UK.

In September 2020, a spokesman announced the couple had repaid 2.4 million pounds (€2.71 million) in British taxpayers’ money that was used to renovate the home when they were working members of the royal family.

The money was "fully covered" for the cost of the renovation, the spokesman said.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

Prince Harry's claims of killings in Afghanistan slammed by relatives of victims

UK housing crisis set to be top voter issue in upcoming general election

Just how extreme is Nigel Farage's Reform UK?