Trump's on-off travel ban faces next step in legal battleComments
In a tweet on Monday night Trump said “The threat from radical Islamic terrorism is very real,” as he sought to defend his most controversial act since taking office – a ban on immigration from seven mainly Muslim countries.
After Seattle judge James Robart suspended the ban last Friday, hundreds of passengers from the affected countries rushed to the US.
Among them was twelve-year-old Alma Kashkooli from Iran. She has a rare medical condition and was supposed to be receiving the first of several life-saving treatments only available in the US last week, but was barred from entering the country under the ban.
She has now made it to New York for urgent surgery to save her eye sight. Her mother Fahimeh, who is studying in the US was overwhelmed by emotion as she arrived at the airport with her child.
“It was incredible support and I cannot imagine I would get such support,” Fahimeh said, thanking New York for the support.
Later on Tuesday, an appeals court in San Francisco will be deciding whether or not to allow the travel ban which affects those from from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. Trump’s administration argues that it must be reinstated in the interest of national security, while critics argue it is unconstitutional and harmful to US interests. Whatever the court’s decision, the case may end up in the Supreme Court.