Renewing your driving licence within the EU

Renewing your driving licence within the EU
By Euronews
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button

What to do you when your driving licence expires when you live abroad, that’s the question in this edition of Utalk and it comes from Claudia in Amsterdam: “I’m Italian but I live in the Netherlands. Can I request a new driving licence in the Netherlands, since my Italian one is about to expire?”

The response comes from Ana Blázquez Díaz, Senior Communication Officer, Europe Direct: “Yes. Since January 2013, a harmonised EU driving licence model is issued in all EU Member
States. If your driving licence is about to expire, or if you lose it or have it stolen, you need to apply
for a new one in the country (of residence) where you’re currently living.

“Only the authorities of your current country of residence can issue you a new driving licence. In your case, it’s the Netherlands.
You will then be subject to the same rules as nationals of that country on medical checks, validity periods, medical checks, and so on.

“When you move to another EU Member State, in principle, you do not need to exchange your driving licence for a local one since all driving licences are recognised within the EU. You do not need to retake your driving licence tests as you will keep all your driving entitlements.

“You can drive in the EU with your current licence as long as it remains valid.
However, if you are hold a driving licence for life and have established your residence in another EU country, the member state of your normal residence
may require you to exchange your licence for a local one after two years. You will then be subject to the same rules as nationals of that country regarding validity periods, medical checks and so on.”

For more information about the EU, call 00 800 6 7 8 9 10 11 or check out the website:

And if you would also like to ask a question on Utalk, click on the button below.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

What has changed after Germanwings tragedy?

Know your rights when your company sends you to work in the EU

MOOC, COOC and SPOC - Different online courses, different needs