ADVERTISEMENT

Eight dead after holiday cottage poisoning on New Year's Eve

xxxxx
xxxxx Copyright Credit: AP
Copyright Credit: AP
By Associated Press
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button

The teenagers and students were found dead on Friday after what is believed to have been a New Year's Eve celebration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Several people have been found dead in a cottage in southwestern Bosnia, police said on Friday.

Local media reported that eight young people died from carbon monoxide poisoning during a New Year's Eve celebration.

Local police spokeswoman Martina Medic told The Associated Press that police responded to a call around 10 am local time and went to a house in the village of Tribistovo where several people were found dead.

The village is 150 kilometres southwest of the capital Sarajevo.

The Posusje municipality, where the village is located, in a Facebook post mourned “eight young lives lost,” and urged the owners of cafes and restaurants to close down to honour the victims.

Bosnian and Croatian media said eight people, including teenagers and students, died from the poisonous gas leak apparently caused by a power generator used for heating as they celebrated New Year’s Eve in a holiday cottage.

Medic, the police spokeswoman, could not immediately confirm the death toll.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colourless, and tasteless gas that can cause sudden illness and death.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

Israel's offensive in Rafah has not crossed red lines, US says

Northern Armenia assess aftermath of worst flooding in decades

Rescue operations struggle in Papua New Guinea following deadly landslide