Euronews is no longer accessible on Internet Explorer. This browser is not updated by Microsoft and does not support the last technical evolutions. We encourage you to use another browser, such as Edge, Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
BREAKING NEWS

Ex-Red Sox player David Ortiz 'recovering well' after third surgery, wife says

 Comments
SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game
David Ortiz celebrates during the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game at Nationals Park in Washington on July 15, 2018, -
Copyright
Rob Carr
Euronews logo
Text size Aa Aa

Former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz underwent a third surgery this week for complications stemming from him being shot last month, the baseball legend's wife said.

"David is recovering well and is in good spirits," Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement Thursday that was released by his former team.

"We continue to be incredibly appreciative of the kindness and compassion shown to David and to our entire family during this difficult time," she said.

Ortiz, known as "Big Papi," was shot on June 9 at the Dial Bar and Lounge in his native Dominican Republic, which he frequents several times a year.

Prosecutors have said that the shooting was a case of mistaken identity and the intended target was Sixto David Fernández, a friend of Ortiz's who was sharing a table with the retired first baseman at the time of the shooting.

The country's attorney general said that authorities believe Victor Hugo Gómez Vasquez, believed to belong to Mexico's Del Golfo drug cartel, orchestrated the alleged hit on Fernández.

Vasquez and Fernández are cousins, according to authorities, and he allegedly arranged the murder-for-hire plot as retaliation for Fernández turning him into Dominican drug investigators in 2011.

Vasquez was arrested in June in Santo Domingo. According to the Associated Press, police said they have arrested 14 suspects so far, including the alleged gunman Rolfi Ferreira-Cruz.