Loader
Advertisement

Death toll rises in Indonesia fireworks factory explosion

Death toll rises in Indonesia fireworks factory explosion
Copyright 
By Euronews
Published on
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google
Share Close Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below: Copy to clipboard Copied

Two explosions and a fire ripped through an industrial warehouse on the outskirts of Jakarta on Thursday.

An explosion and fire at a fireworks factory on the western outskirts of Indonesia’s capital killed at least 47 people and injured dozens on Thursday, officials said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Television broadcast images of thick plumes of dark smoke billowing from a warehouse in the Tangerang district of Jakarta, an industrial and manufacturing hub on the island of Java. Media, quoting witnesses, said there were two explosions, one at around 10 a.m. and then another about three hours later, both of which could be heard miles away.

Tangerang police chief Harry Kurniawan said the dead were discovered by his officers when they entered the factory warehouse, the Detik.com news portal reported. Media images of the PT Panca Buana Cahaya Sukses warehouse showed smouldering ash and debris, with the roof completely missing. The factory had been operating for only two months, media said.

Reuters

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google

Read more

At least five dead and 41 missing after an Indonesian ferry caught fire at sea

Indonesian rescuers search for survivors as death toll from floods and landslides rises to 442

Fire in building housing several hotels in eastern India kills at least nine, injures six