28-year-old man who tried to blow up a bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund football team in April has been charged with 28 counts of attempted murder.
The man responsible for attempting to blow up a bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund football team in April has been charged with 28 counts of attempted murder.
In a statement released on Tuesday, the prosecutor’s office said it was also charging him with inflicting grievous bodily harm and with causing an explosion.
The team was heading to the club’s stadium for a Champions League match against AS Monaco on April 11 when the explosions went off around 100 kilometers east of the Netherlands border, wounding Spanish defender Marc Bartra and delaying the match by a day.
28-year old German-Russian citizen, known only as Sergei W, had bought options on the day of the attack entitling him to sell shares in Borussia Dortmund at a pre-determined price.
His mission was to kill the clubs players, drive down the share price and make a huge profit.
The prosecutor’s office said it could not provide further details on the charges until the charge sheet had been delivered to the suspect and his defence lawyers.