Security at the White House is under the spotlight after the fourth security breach in just two and a half years.
A man will reappear in court on Monday after scaling the fence and entering the grounds with a backpack late on Friday night.
President Trump was inside the White House when the 26-year-old resident of California, Jonathan Tran, was apprehended, reportedly carrying two cans of mace and one of Trump’s books.
Tran apparently said he was a friend of the president and had information for him.
President Trump told a meeting of advisors on Sunday: “Secret Service did a fantastic job last night, I appreciate it.
“It was a troubled person, very sad actually. But Secret Service was fantastic.”
These are some of the other most recent White House intrusions:
April 2016: Intruder throws backpack over outer fence and scales it.
November 2015: Man wearing American flag jumps the fence.
September 2014: Serious incident during which an army veteran carrying a knife climbed the fence and got into building.
After the 2014 intrusion the Secret Service Director Julia Pierson was forced to resign and there were a series of recommendations to improve security.
Earlier this year a plan was approved to put up a taller, more sturdy fence, with extra features to deter climbers.
Construction of the new fence is due to begin next year.