Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

Iranian students renew anti-government protests in Tehran amid a US military buildup

Women wave Iranian flags during a state-organized memorial ceremony for those killed during January's anti-government protests, at the Imam Khomeini Grand Mosque in Tehran.
Women wave Iranian flags during a state-organized memorial ceremony for those killed during January's anti-government protests, at the Imam Khomeini Grand Mosque in Tehran. Copyright  Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved
Copyright Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved
By Euronews with AFP
Published on Updated
Share Comments
Share Close Button

Videos geolocated at universities in Tehran show students chanting "bi sharaf," or "disgraceful" in Farsi, as clashes erupted against supporters of the government.

Anti-government protests at university campuses continued in Iran on Sunday amid a US military build-up in the region.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

This is the second consecutive day of intense clashes after the deadly crackdown last month, with speculation that the unrest could spill over into the streets.

European Parliament president Roberta Metsola said on social media platform X that 'Iran must be free,' and that the country had been "at the boot of a forceful theocracy" since she was alive.

Amid reports of renewed protests in Iran, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said that his country would not give in to international pressure as nuclear talks with the United States are ongoing.

Trump has said he is considering a limited military strike on Iran in order to pressure its leaders to agree a deal to curb the nuclear programme.

During a speech broadcast live on state TV, Pezeshkian said, "World powers are lining up to force us to bow our heads... but we will not bow our heads despite all the problems that they are creating for us."

Meanwhile, local and diaspora media reported renewed anti-government student protests in Tehran over the thousands killed during the January clashes, as well as other groups showing support for the government.

Videos geolocated by AFP at Tehran's top engineering university show people chanting "bi sharaf", or "disgraceful" in Farsi, and fights breaking out. Persian-language TV channel Iran International, which is based in London, also reported on protests at Sharif University of Technology, also located in the capital.

Iranians repeated protest slogans this week to mark 40 days since the deaths of thousands of people, in line with Shiite mourning tradition, after demonstrations peaked on 8 and 9 January.

Local outlet Fars reported that a planned “silent and peaceful sit-in” by students to remember the dead was disrupted when some began chanting slogans including “death to the dictator”, a reference to Iran’s supreme leader, Ali Khamenei.

A video published by Fars showed one group chanting and waving Iranian flags facing another crowd wearing masks, who were being held back by men in suits. Both sides appeared to be holding memorial photographs.

The unrest began in December after months of financial hardship, before escalating into mass anti-government protests. Security forces crushed the demonstrations in a violent crackdown that rights groups say killed thousands.

Iran’s clerical authorities admit more than 3,000 people were killed, but blame the violence on “terrorist acts” allegedly driven by the country’s enemies.

However, US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency says that more than 7,000 people were killed in the crackdown, most of them protesters, though the true figure may be much higher.

On Friday, US President Donald Trump said that 32,000 people had been killed during the recent protests without providing a source.

Following Trump's comments, on Saturday Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi called on social media X for "anyone" who "disputes the accuracy of our data, please share any evidence".

Growing tension in the region

The protests come as Iran faces growing pressure to reach a deal on its nuclear programme with the United States, which has deployed forces within striking distance and is mounting its presence in the Middle-East.

US President Donald Trump had already threatened military action against Tehran during the protests over the security forces’ crackdown.

Reuters reported that US military aircraft were spotted at Lajes Air Base, and US officials said that strikes on Iran could target individual leaders. The aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford was also spotted passing by the Strait of Gibraltar on Friday.

Live flight tracker Flightradar24 also reported that Bulgaria's Sofia airport will be closed for a few hours on Monday and Tuesday, with only military planes allowed. Local media note that this temporary closure coincides with the presence of US military aircraft at the airport and the nearby airbase.

Bulgaria’s Ministry of Defence said the aircraft belong to the US Air Force and that their deployment is part of NATO’s enhanced vigilance activities.

Sweden, Serbia and Australia have urged their citizens to leave Iran and avoid travelling to the country.

In a statement released overnight into Saturday, Serbia's foreign ministry said, "Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period."

On Friday, Trump said he was "considering" a limited military strike on Iran during a White House briefing if negotiations were unsuccessful.

Video editor • Lucy Davalou

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

Tehran accused of mass arrests, torture and executions after protests

Trump warns of ‘bad things’ if Iran does not reach a deal with US

Iranian students renew anti-government protests in Tehran amid a US military buildup