King Charles III has released a statement saying "the law must take its course" over the arrest of his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who was detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office earlier on Thursday.
Britain's King Charles III says the "law must take its course" and that police have his full support following the arrest of his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday over suspicion of misconduct in public office.
His detention is thought to be related to his time as a UK trade envoy between 2001 and 2011, and comes after US authorities published thousands of emails related to disgraced financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Police can hold the former prince for a maximum of 96 hours with permission from senior officers and a magistrates' court.
Royal reaction
In a statement from Buckingham Palace on the arrest, King Charles said, “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office."
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities."
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation," King Charles added. “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course."
"As this process continues, it would not be right of me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all," he concluded.
A few hours later, King Charles stayed silent however when questioned by reporters as he arrived at the opening of London Fashion Week on Thursday afternoon.
It's the latest embarrassment in a long line of mishaps for the former prince, who was stripped of his title last October by King Charles.
Mountbatten-Windsor, who turned 66 on Thursday, moved to King Charles’ estate in Norfolk after he was evicted from his longtime home near Windsor Castle earlier this month.
He has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein.
The arrest of the senior royal family member is undoubtedly one of the gravest crises to affect the House of Windsor since its establishment more than a hundred years ago.
Arguably, only the abdication of King Edward VIII in 1936 and the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, in 1997 have been graver for the institution of the British monarchy.
Fall from grace
The arrest came after pictures circulated online that appeared to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm, Mountbatten-Windsor’s home on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers gathering outside.
The allegations being investigated Thursday are separate from those made by Virginia Giuffre, who claimed she had been trafficked to Britain to have sex with Andrew in 2001, when she was just 17. Giuffre died by suicide last year.
Still, Giuffre’s family praised the arrest, saying: “Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty.”
The family added: “He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you.”
“This is the most spectacular fall from grace for a member of the royal family in modern times,” said Craig Prescott, a royal expert at Royal Holloway, University of London.
The last time a senior British royal was arrested was almost 400 years ago during the reign of King Charles I that saw a growing power struggle between the crown and Parliament.