Spain is to maintain its security level at four one short of the maximum after Thursday’s suspected Islamic militant attacks in Catalonia left 13 people dead.
Spain’s Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said security experts and police have decided there is “no imminent risk” of an attack. He added that the government would reinforce security in crowded areas and tourist hotspots after a van plowed into people on Las Ramblas, Barcelona’s most famous boulevard.
“We are going to redirect our efforts and will adapt these to every place or area that needs special protection,” Zoido told a news conference.
Zoido said police believe the cell behind the Barcelona attack has now been dismantled. He also stressed that although this is an extremely difficult moment, the government wanted to reassure people it’s doing its utmost to guarantee their safety and provide protection.
Meanwhile, the self-styled, Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack in the early hours of Friday on the coastal resort of Cambrils.
The focus of the inquiry is now on Moroccan-born Younes Abouyaaqoub, who’s believed to be driver in the van attack on Las Ramblas. Detectives say he may still be alive and on the run.
A man previously reported as the key suspect, Moussa Oukabir, 17, was one of five men killed by police after the later attack in Cambrils.