A seventh person has been detained in the UK in connection with Monday night’s (May 22) suicide bombing at the Manchester Arena.
The man was arrested in Nuneaton, central England, following searches, police said. Explosives are said to have been found at one site investigated.
Authorities say they are working to shut down a network of people with ties to the bomber, 22-year-old British-born Salman Abedi.
He is accused of killing 22 people and injuring 64 at a venue that was packed with youngsters who had been watching a pop concert.
Abedi’s father, Ramadan, and his younger brother have since been detained in Libya. Ramadan insisted everything was normal when he last spoke to Salman.
“Salman was studying in Northenden college in south Manchester, he didn’t have any problems and he passed two years with high marks, I spoke to him about five days ago,” he said.
The UK’s official terror threat level was raised to critical following the assault.
Authorities in Britain were angered by US leaks about the investigation. The government has reportedly lodged complaints after detailed photos taken at the scene of the attack were published in the American media. The images appear to show a sophisticated and powerful bomb, which officials believe Abedi had help to build.
Vigils have been held far and wide, and all campaigning for the upcoming general election was suspended until Thursday (May 25) as a sign of respect to those who lost their lives.