EventsEventsPodcasts
Loader

Find Us

ADVERTISEMENT

Taliban claims responsibility for deadly Lahore blast

Taliban claims responsibility for deadly Lahore blast
Copyright 
By Euronews
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below:Copy to clipboardCopied

A suspected suicide bomber killed at least 13 people and wounded dozens more in the Pakistani city of Lahore on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

A suspected suicide bomber killed at least 13 people and wounded dozens more in the Pakistani city of Lahore on Monday.

The blast, outside the Punjab regional assembly building, targeted a rally by chemists and pharmaceutical manufacturers. They had been protesting against a new government law.

Some reports put the death toll nearer 20, with at least six police, including two senior officers, said to be among those killed.

DIG Traffic Lahore Ahmad Mobin killed in the #Lahore bomb explosion https://t.co/rZZDZ4R0wIpic.twitter.com/vxrOAuM1tw

— Dawn.com (@dawn_com) 13 février 2017

Counter-terrorism officials had warned about a possible terrorist attack in Lahore, according to Pakistani media reports.

Jamaat-ur-Ahrar, a faction of the Pakistani Taliban, said it was behind the attack, declaring the start of a new campaign.

The same group also claimed responsibility for a bombing at a public park in Lahore last March targeting Christians celebrating Easter. That attack killed more than 70 people.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

Hundreds treated for heatstroke as Pakistan heatwave rages on

Pakistani lawmakers pick Asif Ali Zardari as president for second time

Twin bombings at Pakistan political offices kill at least 26 a day before voting begins