Breivik: no Nazi salute on day two of rights appeal hearingComments
Anders Behring Breivik refrained from giving a Nazi salute on the second day of a court hearing on Tuesday.
On Monday, the 37-year-old made the defiant gesture as he entered the high-security courtroom at the start of the hearing about his detention conditions.
Judge Oeystein Hermansen told him the salute
was insulting and should not be repeated.
Mass killer Breivik makes Nazi salute at rights appeal case https://t.co/cmfF6uu2d3pic.twitter.com/KsxlbwrEPA— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) January 10, 2017
What is the case about?
The Norwegian state wants to overturn a ruling that says it has violated the mass killer’s human rights by keeping him in virtual isolation since he massacred 77 people in 2011.
The initial ruling decided Breivik’s near-isolation violates a European Convention on Human Rights ban on “inhuman and degrading treatment.”
SKIEN, Norway (Reuters) – Norway will appeal on Tuesday against a court ruling that it violated the human rights… https://t.co/ahDrIgrPTm— Thus Spake (@thus_spake) January 10, 2017
What the state says
Launching the state’s appeal, Attorney General Fredrik Sejerstad defended the strict measures.
He said no contact with other inmates, use of strip searches and handcuffs are fully justified for an “unrepentant, far-right extremist”.
“There is no violation of his human rights,” Sejerstad said.
“He has not broken down, he has not expressed remorse, he is proud of what he has done,” he told the court, adding that Breivik is even more convinced of his extreme right-wing ideology.
With a three-room cell – including a training room – as well as a playstation, television and newspapers, Breivik has “better conditions” than other prisoners in Norway, the Attorney General said.
What Breivik says
Flanked by his two lawyers with three prison guards behind him, Breivik shook his head repeatedly as Sejerstad spoke.
Last year, lower court judge Helen Andenaes Sekulic ruled that Breivik was wrongly kept in a “locked world” for 22-23 hours a day.
His only contact is with lawyers and professionals like guards and health workers.
His mother was the only family member allowed to visit. She died of cancer in 2013.
“The main problem is isolation from other people,” Breivik’s lawyer Oeystein Storrvik said.
When is a decision due?
Judge Hermansen said the three-judge appeal court would give its ruling sometime in February.
July 22, 2011
This was the day Breivik killed eight people with a car bomb outside the prime minister’s office in Oslo.
He then gunned down 69 others on an island near the capital. Many were young people attending a youth camp run by Norway’s then-governing Labour Party.
He is currently serving Norway’s longest sentence for the crimes – 21 years with the possibility of an extension.
150.000 noruegos marchando en Oslo como tributo a las 77 personas asesinadas en Utoya en 2011 #Respectpic.twitter.com/dqwCo1iWvK— Mauricio Zapata (@mezvan) September 21, 2016