By Chris HarrisFollow @lyonanglais
16/09/14 17:33 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
This is the moment an angry mob grabbed an MP and threw him in a rubbish bin.
The group, screaming curses and insults, hurled Vitaly Zhuravsky into a large waste container outside the Ukrainian parliament in Kyiv.
A protester pinned down a shaken Zhuravsky by his head, preventing him from escaping. He had his briefcase and a tyre thrown at him.
Zhuravsky was a member of former president Viktor Yanukovich’s Party of the Regions. He was behind a bill in January which tightened restrictions on anti-government protestors. He has also authored a bill criminalising libel.
The protest came on the day the EU and Ukraine signed a landmark political and trade agreement.
It was Yanukovich’s decision not to sign a similar agreement last year – instead agreeing a deal with Russia – which sparked a revolution and his downfall.
By Chris HarrisMore about:
South African firefighters arrive in Canada to help tackle Fort McMurray wildfire
Gorilla shot dead after playing with toddler who fell into enclosure
11 hit by lightning in Paris park
Creative or crazy?: Brexit campaign videos
Operation Condor: historic human rights trial verdict expected
Wires > News
- 01:55 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister quits over leaked recordings
- 01:42 CET Ohio zoo defends safety where boy climbed barrier and gorilla died
- 01:18 CET Rio de Janeiro police arrest two men in gang-rape case
- 00:35 CET Hitler’s older brother was in fact younger and died early…
- 23:51 CET Heavy air strikes on Syria’s Idlib kill and injure dozens – monitor
- 23:23 CET Netanyahu says willing to discuss Arab initiative for peace with…
- 23:10 CET Six killed, many injured, by roadside bombs in southeast Turkey
- 22:53 CET EU chief Tusk slams utopian ‘illusions’ of united Europe