By Chris HarrisFollow @lyonanglais
16/09/14 17:33 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
This is the moment an angry mob grabbed an MP and threw him in a rubbish bin.
The group, screaming curses and insults, hurled Vitaly Zhuravsky into a large waste container outside the Ukrainian parliament in Kyiv.
A protester pinned down a shaken Zhuravsky by his head, preventing him from escaping. He had his briefcase and a tyre thrown at him.
Zhuravsky was a member of former president Viktor Yanukovich’s Party of the Regions. He was behind a bill in January which tightened restrictions on anti-government protestors. He has also authored a bill criminalising libel.
The protest came on the day the EU and Ukraine signed a landmark political and trade agreement.
It was Yanukovich’s decision not to sign a similar agreement last year – instead agreeing a deal with Russia – which sparked a revolution and his downfall.
By Chris HarrisMore about:
Why Hungary has been one of the surprise packages of Euro 2016
Iceland in Euro 2016: at least 7 interesting facts
More drug addicts, but number of users remains stable – UN report
Singer’s murder in Karachi could see Pakistan change tune against Taliban killers
“Dear parents…” the full letter from two daughters urging their parents to vote ‘remain’
Wires > News
- 03:25 CET Japan’s ruling coalition headed for hefty win in upper house poll…
- 02:18 CET OAS chief blames Maduro government for Venezuela crisis
- 01:49 CET Boat migrant rescues surge as calm seas return to Mediterranean
- 01:23 CET Trump will not ask donors to repay nearly $50 million in campaign…
- 00:34 CET U.S. Navy mulls punishment for sailors seized by Iran
- 23:27 CET Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- 23:21 CET Three dead, two injured in Cyprus resort ‘gangland’ shootout
- 22:49 CET Gunman takes hostages in German cinema, is shot dead by police