15/07/14 13:52 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Jean-Claude Juncker has been elected as president of the European Commission.
He was elected with 422 votes on Tuesday and replaces the incumbent Jose Manual Barroso. He will assume the post for a renewable term of five years.
In an impassioned speech Juncker vowed to revive Europe’s economy with a €300bn industrial plan that aims to create jobs for the EU’s 25 million unemployed.
The former Luxembourg prime minister said: “We need a reindustrialisation of Europe.”
The 59-year-old said he wants to build energy, transport and broadband networks and industry clusters.
Juncker's election, as it happened
Speaking in French English and German, he sought to reassure fiscal hawks that strict rules on budget deficts and debt reduction would not be changed
To Eurosceptics he declared that Europe could not be built against nation states and should focus on the big common challenges and not intervene in “small problems”.
He accepted that many Europeans had lost confidence in the EU and said he hoped to win those people over with economic results and full employment.
Juncker received wide support from the Socialist bloc in the European Parliament, including that of his own centre right group
Extinction threat for people with albinism in Malawi as ritual murders rise
UK expats abroad for over 15 years banned from Brexit vote
Facebook triples profits: social media can be addictive to investors, too
Salah Abdeslam ‘as bright as an empty ashtray’, says his lawyer
Turkey, Malta and Italy ‘worst’ when it comes to work gender gap
Wires > News
- 19:42 CET Aviation industry seeks EU intervention in Britain-Spain row over…
- 19:19 CET U.N. chief open to helping in Iran-U.S. dispute over assets
- 19:14 CET Argentine unions flex muscle in anti-government street protest
- 18:56 CET Strike on Afghan hospital last year not a war crime – U.S. military
- 18:50 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 18:42 CET McDonald’s probes copycat burger joint in separatist east Ukraine
- 18:17 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 18:06 CET U.N. demands restoration of Western Sahara mission