Alexis Tsipras has announced he will support Jean Claude Juncker to seek majority for the EC Presidency.
According to a statement from Tsipras, the candidate for the European Left said that despite their political differences, he recognises that Mr Juncker won the election.
«During the campaign, I stood as the candidate of the European Left. I stood in vigorous disagreement with the policies of the European People’s Party and of their candidate, Mr. Jean-Claude Juncker. Those disagreements stand, and they will stand» Tsipras said, stressing that «The European People’s Party, nevertheless, won the election. Therefore, Mr Jean-Claude Juncker, should be the first to attempt to form the required majority, starting negotiations with the other political groups».
Besides, he once again added that the European Council should not choose another candidate who did not run in the recent election.
«According to the Treaty on European Union, the European Parliament has the right to approve, and therefore the right to disapprove, the nominee presented to it for the Presidency of the European Commission by the European Council.
During the recent campaign, the citizens of Europe were asked to express their choice among five candidates, each of them selected by the major European parties. As candidates we campaigned, debated, and sought the votes of European citizens» said Tsipras.
Tsipras sent his own message referring to the ongoing negotiations between the heads of states and governments.
«It is my position that the European Council should not nominate any candidate for the Presidency of the Commission, who did not compete in this election.
It is my position that the European Parliament should not approve any candidate who did not compete in this election. The presentation of any other nominee would have as its effect to discredit the entire recent election, turning it, after the fact, into a charade.
This is a basic democratic principle. It is a moral obligation of the European Council to put forward the candidate who secured the leading position in the European election».
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 06:41 CET Gunmen in Egypt kill guard outside Niger embassy
- 06:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska
- 05:57 CET Malaysian parliament investigation of state fund on hold
- 05:54 CET Pakistan police say kill head of banned sectarian group
- 04:45 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State
- 02:55 CET Magnitude 5.9 quake hits Panama-Colombia border, no reports of…
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe