By Chris Harris | With REUTERS/AFPFollow @lyonanglais
02/05/14 17:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Hundreds of people are missing-feared-dead after a mudslide in north-east Afghanistan, according to local officials.
Colonel Abdul Qadeer Sayad, a deputy police chief of Badakhshan province, told Reuters: “At least 400 to 500 people are still under a huge landslide, and they are all believed to be dead. This number may increase.”
Reuters, quoting Badakhshan governor’s spokesman, said 2,000 people had been buried in the disaster.
Mohammad Baidaar, vice governor of Badakhshan province, said up to 400 homes had been destroyed in the district of Argo after landslides triggered by torrential rain.
US president Barack Obama, speaking at a press conference with Angela Merkel in Washington, said: “Our thoughts are with the people of Afghanistan who are facing a terrible tragedy.
“Many people are missing. We stand ready to help our Afghan partners to face this disaster.”
The province, home to more than 900,000 people, shares a border with China, Pakistan and Tajikistan.
Photo credit: fb.com/my.badakhshan
By Chris Harris | With REUTERS/AFPMore about:
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 16:02 CET Ukraine files defence in $3 billion Russia Eurobond case
- 15:54 CET North Korea threatens retaliation after South Korean warning shots
- 15:42 CET Ugandan court sentences five men to life for 2010 bombings that…
- 14:14 CET Air France shirt-ripper trial postponed
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…