16/03/14 12:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Russian state media said Crimeans voted overwhelmingly to break with Ukraine and join Russia on Sunday, as Kyiv accused Moscow of pouring forces into the peninsula and warned separatist leaders “the ground will burn under their feet”.
RIA news agency said 93 percent backed annexation, citing an exit poll released as voting ended at 8 p.m. (1800 GMT). Another Russian agency said turnout was over 80 percent. When around 50% of votes were counted, the latest numbers pointed to 95,5% voters backing union with Russia, 3,5% asking for more autonomy and 1% of discarded ballots, according the Crimean Electoral Commission. The final results should be announced this Monday at 10h00, when the Crimean Council should also present a formal request to join Russia.
Caught in an East-West crisis reminiscent of the Cold War, Kyiv said Russia’s build-up of forces in the Black Sea region was in “crude violation” of an international treaty, and announced plans to arm and train 20,000 members of a newly-created National Guard to defend the nation.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry told Moscow that Washington would not accept the outcome of the vote, which is likely to favour union with Russia for a region which has a Russian-speaking majority.
The White House also warned Moscow to expect sanctions while foreign ministers from the European Union, which has major trade ties with Russia, will decided on possible similar action in Brussels on Monday.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
What happened at Super Bowl 50: six things you need to know
Twitter suspends over 125,000 accounts for “promoting terrorist acts”
Chinese athletics world record holder “forced into using banned drugs”
EU states criticised over ‘shocking’ FGM response
And also…Israeli ‘spy vulture’ returned home, German girl finds fortune at bottom of lake, and get away from my flamingo!
Wires > News
- 13:02 CET Lawyers see limited legal options for workers sent in Zika’s way
- 12:47 CET IS forced to cut fighters’ pay 50 percent because of airstrikes…
- 12:44 CET EU drugs agency sets up Zika task force to speed vaccine work
- 12:20 CET Before New Hampshire primary, Trump campaign shows mellower side
- 12:19 CET Russia says arrests seven Islamic State militants over attack plot
- 12:07 CET Spanish grave opened on order of Argentine judge unearths painful…
- 11:08 CET North Korea rocket launch may spur U.S. missile defence buildup in…
- 11:06 CET Somalia plane bomber was meant to be on Turkish flight – airline…