A gigantic asteroid has whizzed ‘close’ to Earth – around a year after another exploded over Russia, injuring hundreds of people.
The space rock, which measured around 270-metres (885 ft) wide, raced past the planet at about 27,000mph (43,000kph) around 3am CET on Tuesday.
The asteroid came within about 1.6 million miles (2.6m km) of Earth.
On February 15, 2013, a smaller asteroid, around 20m (65ft) in diameter, hit Earth over Chelyabinsk, Russia. Its massive impact shattered windows and damaged buildings, with the flying glass injuring around 1,200 people.
A specialist robotic telescope service, which had hoped to capture pictures of Tuesday’s asteroid, failed to operate. The telescope, based at an observatory in the Canary Islands, broadcasts footage on slooh.com. But the equipment froze over, meaning the asteroid could not be captured.
Paul Cox, Slooh’s technical and research director, said: “We continue to discover these potentially hazardous asteroids – sometimes only days before they make their close approaches to Earth.
He added: “We need to find them before they find us!”
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 4Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 5Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 11:33 CET Russia calls for international cooperation to fight Islamic State
- 11:28 CET Four killed in Macedonia floods
- 10:59 CET Philippines to raise South China Sea despite Beijing’s reluctance
- 10:43 CET China’s First Heavy chairman commits suicide amid anti-graft probe…
- 09:59 CET UK extends Iraqi air campaign against Islamic State until March…
- 08:52 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 08:49 CET Good progress made on Pacific trade deal despite talks failure -…
- 08:47 CET Returning Uighurs attacked Thai, Chinese police, China says