17/02/14 10:34 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A gigantic asteroid has whizzed ‘close’ to Earth – around a year after another exploded over Russia, injuring hundreds of people.
The space rock, which measured around 270-metres (885 ft) wide, raced past the planet at about 27,000mph (43,000kph) around 3am CET on Tuesday.
The asteroid came within about 1.6 million miles (2.6m km) of Earth.
On February 15, 2013, a smaller asteroid, around 20m (65ft) in diameter, hit Earth over Chelyabinsk, Russia. Its massive impact shattered windows and damaged buildings, with the flying glass injuring around 1,200 people.
A specialist robotic telescope service, which had hoped to capture pictures of Tuesday’s asteroid, failed to operate. The telescope, based at an observatory in the Canary Islands, broadcasts footage on slooh.com. But the equipment froze over, meaning the asteroid could not be captured.
Paul Cox, Slooh’s technical and research director, said: “We continue to discover these potentially hazardous asteroids – sometimes only days before they make their close approaches to Earth.
He added: “We need to find them before they find us!”
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4All hostages are freed after a botched robbery in northern France
- 5France and US urge Russia to change tactics in fight against ISIL
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 4Who were the people behind the Paris bomb attacks?
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Child poverty in Romania worse since it joined the EU
Just 118 years to go to close the gender gap
The death of Rio Doce, the “sweet river”, under a tide of toxic mud
Bid to reveal MEPs’ expenses data taken to EU’s highest court
Belgians turn to cats after call for Twitter terror blackout
Wires > News
- 04:30 CET Hurricane Sandra forms off Mexico’s Pacific coast, seen…
- 04:00 CET Chicago charges officer in black teen’s death, releases video of…
- 03:24 CET France, Belgium widen probe into Paris attacks, Hollande meets…
- 02:58 CET Obama, Hollande urge Russia to focus Syria attacks on Islamic State
- 02:04 CET Report says combination of errors led to U.S. bombing of …
- 01:49 CET No explosives found in U.S.-bound parcels at Cairo airport – DHL
- 00:33 CET Argentine president-elect picks U.N. insider as his top diplomat
- 00:24 CET Apparent suicide attack on Tunisian presidential guard bus kills 12