20/01/14 12:20 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Russian LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) rights activist has been arrested by police for unfurling a rainbow flag, a LGBT symbol, when the Olympic torch passed through his home town.
According to reports, Olympic security personnel first wrestled activist Paul Lebedev to the snow on January 18. Russian police later escorted him to the police station.
Pictures of the arrest – which took place in Voronezh, 900km north of Sochi – were uploaded online by friends of Lebedev.
“Hosting the games here contradicts the basic principles of the Olympics, which is to cultivate tolerance,” Lebedev told media agency AP by phone as he was still in custody.
Lebedev is due in court on January 20.
Putin outraged many in the West in June 2013 by signing a law banning the spread of homosexual “propaganda” among minors. Critics say the law is discriminatory and aimed at stifling dissent.
The International Olympic Committee has not commented on Russia’s gay propaganda law, but some human rights activists are hoping the Games will be used as a platform to protest.
Calls for a boycott of the Games have failed but the United States is sending three openly gay members in its official Olympic delegation.
(with agencies, photo credit Andrew Nasonov)
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Wires > News
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…
- 18:09 CET Sweden, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. council for 2017-18
- 17:22 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 17:17 CET Cracks show inside Islamic State’s shrinking caliphate
- 17:16 CET Poland risks Moscow’s ire with plan to relocate war memorials
- 16:56 CET Kremlin dents Turkish hopes for quick restoration of ties
- 16:54 CET IS Syria stronghold Raqqa next after Manbij operation is completed…