20/01/14 12:20 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Russian LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) rights activist has been arrested by police for unfurling a rainbow flag, a LGBT symbol, when the Olympic torch passed through his home town.
According to reports, Olympic security personnel first wrestled activist Paul Lebedev to the snow on January 18. Russian police later escorted him to the police station.
Pictures of the arrest – which took place in Voronezh, 900km north of Sochi – were uploaded online by friends of Lebedev.
“Hosting the games here contradicts the basic principles of the Olympics, which is to cultivate tolerance,” Lebedev told media agency AP by phone as he was still in custody.
Lebedev is due in court on January 20.
Putin outraged many in the West in June 2013 by signing a law banning the spread of homosexual “propaganda” among minors. Critics say the law is discriminatory and aimed at stifling dissent.
The International Olympic Committee has not commented on Russia’s gay propaganda law, but some human rights activists are hoping the Games will be used as a platform to protest.
Calls for a boycott of the Games have failed but the United States is sending three openly gay members in its official Olympic delegation.
(with agencies, photo credit Andrew Nasonov)
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 5Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
IAAF President Coe gives up Nike ambassadorial role
Outspoken Canadian beauty queen denied transfer flight to China for Miss World
How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
American Thanksgiving between travel and tradition
Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
Wires > News
- 14:16 CET Islamic State claims attack on Bangladesh Shi’ite shrine; one dead
- 14:06 CET Kremlin says Turkey’s Erdogan requests meeting with Putin in Paris
- 13:49 CET Polish ship attacked off Nigeria coast, five sailors held, Poland…
- 13:17 CET Two Palestinians ram cars into Israeli soldiers, shot dead
- 13:07 CET France pays tribute to victims of Paris attacks
- 12:51 CET Thailand says ‘highly likely’ it will seek TPP membership
- 12:40 CET Governments take rose-tinted view of climate projections before…
- 12:31 CET Kenya backs down from threat to leave ICC over Vice-President