Asaram Bapu, the controversial Indian spiritual guru arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage girl, has had a bail application refused, it’s been reported.
The 72-year-old was detained after a 16-year-old girl reportedly accused the Hindu religious preacher of raping her at one of his retreats.
A court had remanded Bapu – who denies the charge – in custody for 14 days, pending a bail application. That bid was rejected on Wednesday, reports the Hindustan Times.
It earlier reported the alleged 16-year-old victim told police she was assaulted by Asaram for an hour-and-a-half inside a locked cottage as her unsuspecting mother sat outside, chanting prayers for an “exorcism ritual” on her daughter.
Bapu has hundreds of thousands of followers in India and is well-known for his discourses on Hindu religion. His arrest prompted protests from his supporters, who claim the accusations are politically motivated.
Bapu sparked controversy last year with his views on the Delhi gang rape victim.
The arrest of Bapu is the latest in a series of high-profile rape controversies in India that have fuelled public protests and raised questions about how police handle the cases and treat the victims.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 10Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 11NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 13‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
London bombings of 2005 a ‘threat we still face’
LIVE from Brussels: Special EU Summit on Greek crisis
[Live] Q&A session with euronews reporters on the Gaza flotilla
Dawn Fraser apologises for racist attack on Kyrgios and Tomic
Alarm bells sounded over plight of refugees crossing the Balkans
Wires > News
- 01:14 CET Ex-dictator found mentally unfit for new Guatemala genocide trial
- 00:43 CET Serbia government agrees to send PM to July 11 Srebrenica…
- 21:26 CET Two suicide bombers kill around 30 in northern Nigeria
- 21:02 CET Obama, Vietnam leader discuss South China Sea in landmark meeting
- 20:47 CET Eritrea sees U.N. scrutiny, migrant exodus as part of ‘conspiracy’
- 19:54 CET Gunmen storm national radio in Central African Republic
- 19:47 CET Homegrown jihadists with Libya ties target Tunisia’s democracy
- 19:22 CET Sierra Leone urged to ban FGM after backing women’s rights treaty