Asaram Bapu, the controversial Indian spiritual guru arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage girl, has had a bail application refused, it’s been reported.
The 72-year-old was detained after a 16-year-old girl reportedly accused the Hindu religious preacher of raping her at one of his retreats.
A court had remanded Bapu – who denies the charge – in custody for 14 days, pending a bail application. That bid was rejected on Wednesday, reports the Hindustan Times.
It earlier reported the alleged 16-year-old victim told police she was assaulted by Asaram for an hour-and-a-half inside a locked cottage as her unsuspecting mother sat outside, chanting prayers for an “exorcism ritual” on her daughter.
Bapu has hundreds of thousands of followers in India and is well-known for his discourses on Hindu religion. His arrest prompted protests from his supporters, who claim the accusations are politically motivated.
Bapu sparked controversy last year with his views on the Delhi gang rape victim.
The arrest of Bapu is the latest in a series of high-profile rape controversies in India that have fuelled public protests and raised questions about how police handle the cases and treat the victims.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies in Spain
Striking photos of the ‘not at all blue’ moon
UAE petrol prices start riding high
David Cameron moves to protect children from online porn
And also… Porn on parliament computers; crowdfunding for historic space suit; and drunk badger sleeps it off on beach
Wires > News
- 06:18 CET Republicans begin pivotal debate week with New Hampshire forum
- 04:44 CET Taiwan school textbook row highlights antipathy to ‘one China’
- 04:05 CET Mexico City prosecutor confirms killing of news photographer
- 03:17 CET U.N. states agree post-2015 sustainable development agenda
- 00:46 CET Nigeria’s army says rescued 178 captives of Boko Haram
- 22:44 CET Rouhani says nuclear deal a ‘third way’ for Iranian foreign policy
- 21:48 CET Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 21:21 CET Egypt president signs elections law – official gazette