Asaram Bapu, the controversial Indian spiritual guru arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage girl, has had a bail application refused, it’s been reported.
The 72-year-old was detained after a 16-year-old girl reportedly accused the Hindu religious preacher of raping her at one of his retreats.
A court had remanded Bapu – who denies the charge – in custody for 14 days, pending a bail application. That bid was rejected on Wednesday, reports the Hindustan Times.
It earlier reported the alleged 16-year-old victim told police she was assaulted by Asaram for an hour-and-a-half inside a locked cottage as her unsuspecting mother sat outside, chanting prayers for an “exorcism ritual” on her daughter.
Bapu has hundreds of thousands of followers in India and is well-known for his discourses on Hindu religion. His arrest prompted protests from his supporters, who claim the accusations are politically motivated.
Bapu sparked controversy last year with his views on the Delhi gang rape victim.
The arrest of Bapu is the latest in a series of high-profile rape controversies in India that have fuelled public protests and raised questions about how police handle the cases and treat the victims.
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 08:04 CET Fleeing Islamic State killings in Syria, a family reaches Bavaria
- 07:19 CET Pakistan says ‘almost all’ Uighur militants eliminated
- 07:00 CET Native protesters seize oil wells in Peru to urge government action
- 06:49 CET Malaysia police to question Mahathir on anti-PM comments at rally
- 05:59 CET North Korea tells South not to crow about deal that ended standoff
- 03:58 CET Brazil convicts Odebrecht Group for slavery-like practices in…
- 03:13 CET Obama pushes for more U.S. ice-breaking might in Arctic
- 03:02 CET Israel slams Palestinians’ push to fly their flag at U.N.