Asaram Bapu, the controversial Indian spiritual guru arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage girl, has had a bail application refused, it’s been reported.
The 72-year-old was detained after a 16-year-old girl reportedly accused the Hindu religious preacher of raping her at one of his retreats.
A court had remanded Bapu – who denies the charge – in custody for 14 days, pending a bail application. That bid was rejected on Wednesday, reports the Hindustan Times.
It earlier reported the alleged 16-year-old victim told police she was assaulted by Asaram for an hour-and-a-half inside a locked cottage as her unsuspecting mother sat outside, chanting prayers for an “exorcism ritual” on her daughter.
Bapu has hundreds of thousands of followers in India and is well-known for his discourses on Hindu religion. His arrest prompted protests from his supporters, who claim the accusations are politically motivated.
Bapu sparked controversy last year with his views on the Delhi gang rape victim.
The arrest of Bapu is the latest in a series of high-profile rape controversies in India that have fuelled public protests and raised questions about how police handle the cases and treat the victims.
- 1French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 2Porn pioneers the 3D, 360° virtual reality viewing experience
- 3Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 4Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 5Refugees tell of ISIL brutality which forced them to leave Syria
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Russia launches more air strikes in Syria
- 3Several reported dead and missing after severe floods in southern France
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 14Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 15Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20EU split as UN approves raising of Palestinian flag
EU officials ‘hiding meetings’ with tobacco industry lobbyists
Extreme poverty likely to drop below 10% – World Bank
Porn pioneers the 3D, 360° virtual reality viewing experience
On one beach: 283 lifejackets, 48 plastic tubes, 36 pieces of clothing
Médecins Sans Frontières staff killed after suspected US airstrike on Afghan hospital
Wires > News
- 23:13 CET NATO denounces Russian incursion into Turkish airspace
- 22:28 CET Libya’s elected parliament extends mandate, complicating peace…
- 21:36 CET U.S. official defends surveillance on eve of EU data ruling
- 21:24 CET Greece’s Tsipras pleads for debt relief with austere budget
- 21:17 CET Pakistan denies man hanged by Taliban was one of its spies
- 21:16 CET Key player in Guatemala corruption scandal turns himself in
- 20:59 CET German interior minister calls for limit to number of refugees
- 20:41 CET Pilot falls ill on American flight from Phoenix to Boston, dies