The much anticipated MTV Video Music Awards were held on Sunday night in Brooklyn and crowds of screaming fans were not left disappointed, with costumes and controversy offered up in equal measure.
Setting the tone for the night, the show was opened by Lady Gaga who performed her new single “Applause” in a series of outfits ranging from a square nun’s habit to a bikini thong. Her appearance was a little tame by Gaga standards, with no meat-suits or gun-bras to be seen.
Taking over the role of ‘most shocking act’ was Miley Cyrus (pictured above). The former Disney Channel actress, who took to the stage with dancing teddy bears before stripping off to a nude bikini where she ‘twerked’ to her new song “We can’t stop”. Cyrus’ previous good-girl image was finally put to rest when she appeared to give co-singer Robin Thicke a lap dance and made lewd gestures with a foam hand.
The raunchy performance certainly seemed to shock many members of the public and seconds later the talk of Twitter was this photo, claiming to show actor Will Smith and his family reacting to the performance.
UK heart-throbs One Direction picked up an award – dubbed a Moonman – for best song of the summer, but they seemed to be booed by some of the audience. This could have been something to do with the reaction of Taylor Swift, band member Harry Style’s ex-girlfriend, who seemed to mutter “Shut the f**k up” while the band collected their trophy.
Kanye West did not storm any stages this year but he did sing his latest new tune from album “Yeezus” in a haunting performance that featured Steve McQueens’ lynching tree. The single “Blood on the Leaves” samples Nina Simone’s 1965 jazz cover of Billie Holiday’s 1939 recording “Strange Fruit,” a song heavy with commentary on slavery and racism.
Hip-hop artists Macklemore & Ryan Lewis won the award for Best Video with a Social Message for their song “Same Love”. The song has become an anthem for LGBT rights and while collecting his award Macklemore said: “Out of every single song that I have ever written, to me this is the most important record out of all of them…Gay rights are human rights, there is no separation.”
Justin Timberlake picked up the big prizes including Video of the Year and Best Male Video. He wowed fans with a medley of his biggest hits and then surprised audiences by reuniting with his ex-band mates ‘NSync for a one-time only comeback performance. The singer and actor also received a life-time achievement award for his contribution to MTV culture. While receiving the Moonman he said: “Half of the Moonmen I’ve ever won, I won with those four guys right there…So above all else, I’m going to share this, we can keep it my house, but I’m going to share this award with them.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
What’s happening this week 31/08/15
And also…Star Wars ‘religion’ warning, Edward Snowden as you have never seen him before and deaf and blind drivers
Rugby World Cup 2015: Burgess named in England squad as Cipriani left out
Exclusive: EU should create immigrant processing centre in Turkey, says German minister
Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser released on Instagram
Wires > Culture
- 07:55 CET Refugee crisis suddenly Merkel’s biggest challenge
- 07:38 CET China party says no disrespect meant with Jiang sign removal
- 07:00 CET Cambodia says no plan to take more refugees from Australian…
- 06:22 CET China property developers to buy back Tianjin blast homes – Xinhua
- 03:35 CET ‘The Storm Makers’ puts Cambodia’s sex-trafficking under spotlight
- 03:08 CET Insight – Clan warfare trumps diplomacy in Mali’s fragile north
- 01:39 CET Fire at Saudi oil workers’ compound kills 10, many injured
- 21:40 CET Islamic State destroys part of Syria’s Temple of Bel – monitors