João Maria de Souza was killed last Thursday when a cow fell through the roof of his home in Caratinga, southeast Brazil, according to local police. It had apparently been grazing on a nearby hill.
Souza, 45, and his wife, Leni, were in bed when the cow stepped on to the corrugated roof of their house, causing the bedroom ceiling to cave in. The cow then plummeted just over two metres on to Souza’s side of the bed. His wife escaped unharmed.
Initially, Souza seemed to have no serious injuries and was reportedly talking coherently when he was taken to hospital with a fractured left leg. However, according to his family, he was still waiting to be seen by doctors hours later, and eventually died from internal bleeding.
“Being crushed by a cow in your bed is the last way you expect to leave this earth,” his brother-in-law Carlos Correa commented to Brazil’s Hoje em Dia newspaper. “But in my view it wasn’t the cow that killed our João, it was the unacceptable time he spent waiting to be examined.”
The cow, which reportedly weighed up to one and a half tonnes, was not harmed. However, the cow’s owner could face a charge of involuntary manslaughter.
Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
Extinction threat for people with albinism in Malawi as ritual murders rise
UK expats abroad for over 15 years banned from Brexit vote
Facebook triples profits: social media can be addictive to investors, too
Salah Abdeslam ‘as bright as an empty ashtray’, says his lawyer
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…