João Maria de Souza was killed last Thursday when a cow fell through the roof of his home in Caratinga, southeast Brazil, according to local police. It had apparently been grazing on a nearby hill.
Souza, 45, and his wife, Leni, were in bed when the cow stepped on to the corrugated roof of their house, causing the bedroom ceiling to cave in. The cow then plummeted just over two metres on to Souza’s side of the bed. His wife escaped unharmed.
Initially, Souza seemed to have no serious injuries and was reportedly talking coherently when he was taken to hospital with a fractured left leg. However, according to his family, he was still waiting to be seen by doctors hours later, and eventually died from internal bleeding.
“Being crushed by a cow in your bed is the last way you expect to leave this earth,” his brother-in-law Carlos Correa commented to Brazil’s Hoje em Dia newspaper. “But in my view it wasn’t the cow that killed our João, it was the unacceptable time he spent waiting to be examined.”
The cow, which reportedly weighed up to one and a half tonnes, was not harmed. However, the cow’s owner could face a charge of involuntary manslaughter.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 3Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
Wires > News
- 14:20 CET Kazakhstan says foils attack plot by ‘radical group’
- 13:38 CET Pakistan deports 500 Afghan refugees before registration deadline…
- 13:36 CET Cambodian opposition leader promises return from exile
- 13:24 CET China’s Xi urges caution over U.S. missile deployment in South…
- 12:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan and Russia’s Putin agree to revive mutual…
- 12:17 CET Italy raises wreck of migrant boat that sank, killing hundreds, in…
- 12:16 CET Iraqi forces say press towards key air base south of Mosul
- 12:11 CET Istanbul airport attack killed 23 Turkish citizens, 13 foreign…