João Maria de Souza was killed last Thursday when a cow fell through the roof of his home in Caratinga, southeast Brazil, according to local police. It had apparently been grazing on a nearby hill.
Souza, 45, and his wife, Leni, were in bed when the cow stepped on to the corrugated roof of their house, causing the bedroom ceiling to cave in. The cow then plummeted just over two metres on to Souza’s side of the bed. His wife escaped unharmed.
Initially, Souza seemed to have no serious injuries and was reportedly talking coherently when he was taken to hospital with a fractured left leg. However, according to his family, he was still waiting to be seen by doctors hours later, and eventually died from internal bleeding.
“Being crushed by a cow in your bed is the last way you expect to leave this earth,” his brother-in-law Carlos Correa commented to Brazil’s Hoje em Dia newspaper. “But in my view it wasn’t the cow that killed our João, it was the unacceptable time he spent waiting to be examined.”
The cow, which reportedly weighed up to one and a half tonnes, was not harmed. However, the cow’s owner could face a charge of involuntary manslaughter.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Fossil fuel subsidies rising in EU despite pledges to phase them out
Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
Five solutions to the Calais migrant crisis
UK police investigated over alleged child sex abuse cover-up involving former Prime Minister
Kremlin spokesman in post‐wedding fuss over uber luxury watch
Wires > News
- 19:26 CET German justice minister sacks top prosecutor over treason row
- 19:22 CET Italian minister visits Iran seeking better ties
- 19:02 CET Gaddafi loyalists stage rare protest in eastern Libya
- 18:33 CET Obama’s climate plan shows U.S. can change world – U.N.‘s Ban
- 18:31 CET Further conflict, debt dispute pose high risk to Ukraine recovery…
- 18:14 CET Russia resubmits claim for energy-rich Arctic shelf
- 17:42 CET Syria foreign minister in Tehran for talks with Iran, Russia
- 17:29 CET Turkish jets hit PKK targets, soldiers killed in southeast