Loader
Advertisement

Russian drones hit border crossing with Moldova in overnight strike, Ukraine says

The damaged Tabaky border crossing between Ukraine and Moldova, 21 August, 2026
The damaged Tabaky border crossing between Ukraine and Moldova, 21 August, 2026 Copyright  @DPSU_ua
Copyright @DPSU_ua
By Gavin Blackburn
Published on Updated
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google
Share Close Button

The announcement comes a day after a Romanian F-16 fighter jet destroyed an explosive-laden maritime drone close to Europe's largest offshore gas project.

A border crossing with Moldova in Ukraine’s southern Odesa region was damaged by Russian drones overnight, the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine said in a statement on Friday morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Traffic through the Tabaky checkpoint has been suspended and diverted to other crossings, the border service said on Telegram.

Moldovan authorities in Chișinău have been informed, the statement added.

The announcement comes a day after a Romanian F-16 fighter jet destroyed an explosive-laden maritime drone close to Europe's largest offshore gas project, hours after another drone entered the NATO member's airspace and crashed near the Ukrainian border.

Romania's President Nicuşor Dan blamed Russia for the latest incident and condemned what he called an escalation of "irresponsible incidents" by Moscow.

Two Romanian F-16 fighter jets were scrambled and one destroyed the drone after authorities decided it posed a potential threat to the hundreds of people working at the site and to critical energy infrastructure.

Defence Minister Radu Miruță said the drone was carrying explosives and that Kyiv had confirmed it was not Ukrainian.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen described the incident as part of "an escalating campaign of threats" against the European Union.

"This is hybrid warfare," she said, accusing those responsible of seeking to unsettle European citizens and divide the bloc.

High alert

Europe as a whole is on high alert after drone flyovers into NATO airspace reached an unprecedented scale last September, prompting European leaders to agree to develop a "drone wall" along their borders to better detect, track and intercept drones violating Europe's airspace.

In November, NATO military officials said a new US anti-drone system had been deployed to the alliance’s eastern flank.

And following a violation of Polish airspace, NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte announced the formation of the Eastern Sentry programme, which aims to deter further Russian incursions.

A French military AWACS surveillance plane operates cockpit equipment on a 10-hour mission to Romania, 9 January, 2024
A French military AWACS surveillance plane operates cockpit equipment on a 10-hour mission to Romania, 9 January, 2024 AP Photo

Some European officials described the incidents as Moscow testing NATO’s response, which raised questions about how prepared the alliance is against potential threats from Russia.

The Kremlin has dismissed allegations that Russia is behind some of the unidentified drone flights in Europe as "unfounded."

Additional sources • AP, AFP

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google

Read more

Moldova's president nominates pro-European businessman Vasile Tofan for prime minister

EU agrees to open new phase of membership talks with Ukraine and Moldova

Ukraine and Moldova press ahead with bid to join the EU on enlargement ‘Mega Monday’