Health insurance for cross-border commuters

Health insurance for cross-border commuters
By Euronews
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button

In this edition of U-talk – “I am Czech and live with my family in the Czech Republic. However, I work in Slovakia and commute to work every day. In which country are my family and I covered by my medical insurance?”

The response to this question is provided by Europe Direct Communication Officer Jimena Gómez de la Flor:
If you live in one country but work in another and travel there daily, or at least once a week, you are considered, under EU law, to be a ‘cross-border commuter’.

As a cross-border commuter – either employed or self-employed – you pay social security contributions and have access to medical care in the country where you work, but you can also get access to medical treatment in the country where you live.

To be able to do so, you should first ask for an S1 form from the health insurance authority in the country where you work.

With the S1 form, you will also have access to full healthcare in the country where you live, for you and family or dependents.

The country in which you work will remain responsible for your social security coverage, and it will reimburse the country in which you live for healthcare provided to you and your dependents.

If you want travel to another EU country, then you have to ask for your ‘European Health Insurance Card’ from the country in which you work.

If you need more clarification, you can contact the health insurance authority of the country in which you work.”

For more information about the EU, call 00 800 6 7 8 9 10 11 or check out the website:

If you would also like to ask a question on U-talk, click on the button below.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

What has changed after Germanwings tragedy?

Know your rights when your company sends you to work in the EU

MOOC, COOC and SPOC - Different online courses, different needs