Loader
Advertisement

Spanish authorities begin relocating migrants from Ceuta beach to temporary shelters

Migrants who crossed from Morocco into Spain are escorted by Spanish police to temporary shelters after being cleared from a beach in Ceuta, 20 August, 2026
Migrants who crossed from Morocco into Spain are escorted by Spanish police to temporary shelters after being cleared from a beach in Ceuta, 20 August, 2026 Copyright  AP Photo
Copyright AP Photo
By Christina Thykjaer & Evelyn Ann-Marie Dom
Published on
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google
Share Close Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below: Copy to clipboard Copied

Many people remain in makeshift camps, including vulnerable groups such as unaccompanied children, women and girls.

Spain's National Police and Civil Guard launched a large-scale operation early on Thursday on El Trampolín beach in Ceuta as part of a plan to relocate migrants to temporary shelters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

On Thursday, Spain's government announced the creation of temporary shelters for 1,800 migrants in the Spanish enclave, in an effort to relieve the humanitarian crisis following last month's influx from Morocco.

According to local media, around 4,000 people have been staying on the beach. The government, however, said it planned to gradually expand the capacity of the temporary shelters.

The migration ministry said the two new shelters were "temporary reception facilities that will be expanded progressively as the adaptation work on the other planned spaces is completed."

The move comes after tens of thousands of migrants crossed from Morocco into the Spanish enclave at the end of July. Each year, thousands of migrants from across Africa travel to Morocco in search of a route into Europe, fleeing conflict, poverty and instability.

Migrants who crossed from Morocco into Spain are escorted by Spanish police to temporary shelters after being cleared from a beach in Ceuta, 20 August, 2026
Migrants who crossed from Morocco into Spain are escorted by Spanish police to temporary shelters after being cleared from a beach in Ceuta, 20 August, 2026 AP Photo

At least 90 people died on both sides of the border, making it one of the deadliest migration crises to hit the region. Human rights groups have repoted higher tolls.

The majority of those that breached the border have since returned to Morocco, but thousands remain, including unaccompanied children. NGOs have warned that women and girls are particularly vulnerable.

In a U-turn move, Madrid announced plans to transfer 500 unaccompanied migrant girls who arrived in Ceuta to the mainland. The decision contrasts with the European Union's stance, which supports the return of unaccompanied minors to Morocco.

Conditions have severely deteriorated over time, with migrants that remain in Ceuta sleeping in makeshift camps and dependent on humanitarian organisations for food and other basic necessities. However, many are struggling to access food, water, shelter and sanitation as the city's resources are overwhelmed.

Migrants who crossed from Morocco into Spain gather their belongings after being cleared from the beach in Ceuta, 20 August, 2026
Migrants who crossed from Morocco into Spain gather their belongings after being cleared from the beach in Ceuta, 20 August, 2026 AP Photo

The aim of the operation is to provide a space for people to stay, who until now have been forced to sleep on the beach or in public spaces.

The operation also seeks to restore the beach. Once it has been cleared, municipal services are expected to carry out cleaning work, while the area will be cordoned off to prevent another camp from being established.

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google

Read more

Spain ignores EU and prepares urgent transfer of 500 migrant girls from Ceuta to mainland

Russian drones threaten civilians and aid work in Ukraine, UN aid chief warns

Exclusive: EU to boost funding for Morocco’s migration management after Ceuta crisis