Trump says time is running out for Iran to enter into a nuclear deal with the United States to secure a permanent cessation to hostilities, as the risk of a renewed US-Israel war on Tehran amplifies in the region.
US President Donald Trump warned late on Sunday that “there won’t be anything left of Iran” if it doesn’t quickly agree to the United States’ demands and enter into a deal to secure a permanent ceasefire, threatening a resumption of hostilities with increased intensity.
“For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!” wrote Trump on his own social media platform, Truth Social.
Washington, locked in conflict with Tehran since US and Israeli forces launched major strikes on the Islamic republic beginning 28 February, has struggled to break an impasse and make any progress towards ending a war that has upended the Middle East and sent global energy prices soaring.
The war has led to an effective blockade of the critical Strait of Hormuz, through which one-fifth of the world’s oil exports pass in peacetime, and has drawn neighbours Israel and Lebanon into a deadly side-conflict.
Iran's clerical state, Hezbollah's patron, has demanded a lasting ceasefire in Lebanon before any broader peace agreement with Trump, who has been frustrated by Tehran's refusal to an agreement on his terms. Both sides have repeatedly expressed their readiness to resume the fighting.
On Sunday, Iranian media reported that the United States had failed to make enough concrete concessions in its latest response to Iran's proposed agenda for negotiations to end the war.
Iran’s nuclear programme remains the biggest sticking point between the two sides, with Trump seeking Iran’s commitment to completely eradicate it, while Tehran looks to maintain some of its infrastructure for civilian use. The US’ latest proposal appears to have slightly eased, according to Iranian media.
Trump is looking for Iran to hand over its large stockpiles of highly enriched uranium, of which they possess around 440 kilograms of up to 60% purity, theoretically providing the Middle Eastern nation with enough fissile material to build between 10 and 12 nuclear bombs if enriched further to around 90%, which is only a short, technical step.
The Fars news agency said Washington’s latest proposal had presented a five-point list which included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.
Meanwhile, the US’ gulf ally, the United Arab Emirates, has seen renewed Iranian attacks on Sunday, as tensions escalate in the region. The UAE and other Gulf Arab nations including Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Oman have all been targeted by Iran in what it says are retaliatory strikes in response to US-Israeli attacks.
On Sunday, a fire was sparked at the UAE’s sole nuclear power plant, after Iranian drones hit the facility in what authorities are calling an “unprovoked terrorist attack. There were no reported injuries or radiological release, according to authorities.
The UAE Defence Ministry said three drones were detected near the facility over its western border with Saudi Arabia, confirming that one struck the site while two others were intercepted.
The ministry said it was investigating who launched them, but had earlier accused Iran of launching new drone and missile attacks. Iran and allied Shiite militias in Iraq have launched drone attacks targeting Gulf Arab states in the war since its start on 28 February.
The $20 billion (€17.2 billion) Barakah nuclear power plant was built by the UAE with the help of South Korea and went online in 2020. It is the only nuclear power plant in the Arab world and can provide a quarter of the energy needs in the UAE, a federation of seven sheikhdoms that is home to Dubai.
The UAE’s nuclear regulator said the fire didn’t affect plant safety and “all units are operating as normal.” The International Atomic Energy Agency, the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog, said the strike caused a fire in an electrical generator and one reactor was being powered by emergency diesel generators.
The attack, “whether carried out by the principal actor or through one of its proxies, represents a dangerous escalation,” Anwar Gargash, a diplomatic advisor to the UAE president, said on social media.
Saudi Arabia condemned the attack, and later said it had intercepted three drones that entered from Iraqi airspace.