Demonstrators have blocked roads at 16 points around Giessen, while the first AfD delegates arrive under police protection. Up to 50,000 participants are expected for the day. The situation in the morning.
During the first protests against the founding of the new AfD youth organisation, demonstrators set up several blockades around Giessen. According to the police, traffic on motorways and federal and state roads was "massively" disrupted. In the city itself, a bus blocked a roundabout. The police described the situation as "active" at multiple locations.
Meanwhile, the "Resist" campaign alliance reported blockades at 16 points. Police said officers were pelted with stones at one location. Additionally, a larger group attempted to break through a barrier at a substation. Around 300 people marched along Marburger Straße towards Anlagenring, carrying flares.
Numerous organisations involved
The police had announced in the morning that the first groups of demonstrators had arrived in Giessen. A larger number of buses were expected to arrive later; the night and early morning had been largely calm. Nevertheless, the police occasionally threatened to use water cannons to disperse blockades.
Various local organisations took part in the protests, with several hundred people marching through the streets in the south-west of the city.
Visible signs included those of "Omas gegen Rechts", Sea-Watch, the Socialist Student Union and the GEW trade union. Palestinian flags were also displayed. Some of the demonstrators were also mingled with people wearing masks.
Suraj Mailitafi, spokesman for the Resist alliance, said: "We will not allow the next generation of violent fascists to organise in the Hessenhallen. In these minutes, tens of thousands of people from Giessen and all over Germany are standing in their way."
Also present was Bundestag member Janine Wissler (Die Linke), who had travelled to the event as a parliamentary observer. She told hr that she wanted to send a signal against fascism. The AfD is "not a normal party," said the former state parliament member. She expressed regret that demonstrations were not allowed directly in front of the exhibition halls but added that she had not observed any violence so far.
"Basically, it's very clear to me that we are demonstrating here peacefully but resolutely, and sit-in blockades are completely fine."
Among the protesters, some artists handed out sweets on Saturday.
First congress visitors arrive
The first participants of the AfD founding congress have now also arrived in Giessen. They were brought to the exhibition halls in police vehicles and entered the building via a side entrance. Hr reporters counted around 200 arrivals.
A total of around 1,000 participants are expected to attend the founding meeting. Speeches are planned by AfD chairpersons Alice Weidel and Tino Chrupalla as well as party founder Alexander Gauland.
The delegates are to decide on the so-called youth statute, which regulates the party's self-image, its connection to the party, internal structures and the future name of the organisation. The election of the executive board is also on the agenda. The logo of the new youth organisation is not expected to be voted on until a later date.
Around 50,000 demonstrators expected
Around 50,000 people are expected to take part in protests against the AfD in Giessen over the course of the day. Around 30 demonstrations, rallies and vigils have been registered. The organisers include the German Trade Union Confederation, Die Linke, Attac, the Jusos and Omas gegen Rechts. The police will be on site with up to 6,000 officers from all over Germany.
One aim of the demonstrators is to impede the arrival of the 1,000 or so expected party members and guests and to block access to the Giessen exhibition halls. The "Resist" alliance has announced that it will block the way to the hall "side by side". They are expecting one of the largest anti-fascist mobilisations in Germany this weekend.