French police are hunting down a gunman who killed three and injured 11 when he opened fire in the northeastern city of Strasbourg.
Some 350 law enforcement forces have been deployed to hunt down the shooter.
The 29-year-old man, who is known to security services, fled after opening fire around 20:00 CET near the city's famed Christmas market. He is thought to have been injured from gunfire.
An investigation has been opened by France's counter terrorism prosecutor.
French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner raised the security alert level to "emergency attack" with "the implementation of reinforced border controls and tightened controls on all Christmas markets in France to avoid the risk of a copycat attack."
The city was on lockdown for several hours with the public urged to remain put at home, in restaurants, shops and the European Parliament, where MEPs are in session this week.
MEP Marco Affrontte said he was at the Christmas market when he heard "six or seven shots."
"I didn't realise they were shotgun noises and then I saw two people on the ground and many many people screaming and starting to run. So I started to run and then I rang a bell at a door and I am now at the moment still here waiting in this house for the situation to become quieter to reach my hotel," he added.
Authorities urged people to remain vigilant n Wednesday morning but announced that schools are open.
"The city is crisscrossed by law enforcement forces," a statement said.
To catch up on the event watch the video in the player above. Click here for live updates on all this morning's news.
For what we know about the shootings so far click here.