Husband of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe says he’s attempting to go to Tehran urgently for a new court date on December 10
As Iranian state television broadcasts new allegations against a jailed British-Iranian woman, her husband says he is attempting to go there urgently for a new court date that has been set.
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe denies claims of conspiring against the regime. She was arrested while on a visit, insisting that she was only there to see family.
Richard Ratcliffe told Euronews the TV report was “shocking” and he needs to go there with the UK Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, as quickly as possible.
“It’s really not a good sign that she’s being taken back to court on December the 10th and that there’s this very aggressive propaganda campaign that’s been put out in the media,” he said.
“I think it’s really important that the government refuted that which they’ve done and that the foreign secretary gets to Iran as soon as possible.
“I’ve asked to go with him, and again on Friday I chased up with both the Foreign Office and with the Iranian Embassy for a visa so that I can be there for that trial.”
— Amnesty UK (@AmnestyUK) November 27, 2017
A weekend rally was held in London calling for Nazanin’s release, amid serious concerns about her health and mental state, made worse by hearing the new allegations.
Richard Ratcliffe told Euronews: “She was deeply traumatised by it (broadcast of the new claims) and had to go down to visit the prison clinic to be given sedatives through injections to calm her down on the night of it. And certainly I’m appalled that this could be happening.
“She’s been very fragile and has been down to the doctor’s quite a lot, and again was trying to see a psychiatrist just to be able to talk (things) through. That had been banned for a few weeks.
“So I have deep worries about her mental health.”
“Her resilience is extraordinary” – Actor Emma Thompson urges the government to do more to bring Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe home from Iran pic.twitter.com/sY5dsdSIGI
— Sky News (@SkyNews) November 25, 2017
Richard Ratcliffe claims information has been taken from personal emails and says Nazanin’s lawyer plans to challenge that in court in Iran.
He says there are supposed to be two parts to the TV report on Iranian television and he says they are waiting to see what other allegations or information there might be.
He also says discussions are ongoing about whether she could be given diplomatic protection by the UK.