More than 100 women took part in the 'send forth' dinner organised by the government
More than a hundred women kidnapped in 2014 by Boko Haram militants are finally preparing to return home to the northern Nigerian town of Chibok.
The women have been staying at a government-owned facility in the capital Abuja where they have been undergoing psychological and medical care.
Nigeria’s women affairs and social development minister, Jummai Alhassan, says hopefully they’ll soon be joined back home by the remaining captives.
“Negotiations are still on, still going on very seriously, the government had never relented in the negotiations since the release of the 82 in May, the government is continuing and we see light at the end of the tunnel, by the grace of God, and very soon, by the grace of God, we will have our daughters, the remaining daughters back,” said Alhassan.
UNFPA</a> is proud to support the Gov of Nigeria for the freed <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/chibokgirls?src=hash">#chibokgirls</a> with new acquired skills set & dignity kits <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LeaveNoOneBehind?src=hash">#LeaveNoOneBehind</a> <a href="https://t.co/qgNrNWwK0F">pic.twitter.com/qgNrNWwK0F</a></p>— Diene Keita (diene_keita) September 13, 2017
Some 270 girls were originally abducted by the Islamist group but 82 were freed in May this year after mediation, adding to 24 who were released or found last year.
The Islamist militants have killed more than 15,000 people and displaced at least two million others in a seven year insurgency aimed at creating an Islamic caliphate in northeastern Nigeria.
As the rescued #ChibokGirls come to the end of their Rehabilitation Prog, watch our video on their journey so far pic.twitter.com/CzVlqv8mNP— Govt of Nigeria (@AsoRock) September 12, 2017