Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

At least two dead in Karachi building collapse

At least two dead in Karachi building collapse
Copyright 
By Tokunbo Salako with REUTERS
Published on
Share Comments
Share Close Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below: Copy to clipboard Copied

The three-story block in Pakistan's sprawling port city came down as residents slept

In Pakistan, up to four people have reportedly been killed and at least eight others injured when a dilapidated, three-story building collapsed in poor neighbourhood of Karachi.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

The block of flats came down in the middle of the night as residents slept.

Farid Uddin, Karachi’s Deputy Commissioner said: “We’re recovered two bodies and we’re talking to two people trapped in the rubble. Eight people have been saved so far.”

Pakistan: Children found among the four dead inhabitants after a building collapses in the Liaquatabad area of Karachi. 17-07-2017 pic.twitter.com/QvFX5JmTPO

— Darl van Dijk (@Lastcombo) July 18, 2017

Rescue workers are trying carefully to free two people trapped in the debris but it’s unclear whether any more people are stuck in the rubble.

What caused the building to come down remains unknown however officials have suggested the block’s age and poor construction could be the cause.

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

Bombing at mosque in Islamabad kills at least 31 during Friday prayers

Pakistan says it has killed 145 'Indian-backed terrorists' in Balochistan after deadly attacks

Death toll in Karachi shopping plaza fire rises to 23 as search continues for 46 missing