The Dogan news agency says the bus, which was reportedly transporting military personnel, was hit by the blast in the central city of Kayseri.
- At least 13 dead
- 55 wounded
- Bus carrying military recruits – report
- Government broadcast ban – report
- Similar to Istanbul twin bombs – deputy PM
At least 13 people are reported to have been killed and 55 wounded after a blast targeted a bus carrying military personnel in central Turkey.
Turkey’s Dogan news agency says the blast in the city of Kayseri hit the bus as it drove past a car, believed to be packed with explosives.
The bus is said to have been carrying off-duty military personnel.
Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu has given a press conference along with the country’s health minister.
He said 12 of the wounded are in intensive care and six are in a critical condition.
BREAKING: Turkey's state-run news agency reports car bomb attack in Kayseri province near Erciyes university.— The Associated Press (@AP) December 17, 2016
#BREAKING First pix of #Kayseri bombing. Bus carrying soldiers targeted by car bomb. Govn bans broadcasts re bombing pic.twitter.com/EzpowjL6Xu— Selin Girit (@selingirit) December 17, 2016
#UPDATE: 13 soldiers killed, 55 wounded in attack in Kayseri https://t.co/sRNzFxmBLYpic.twitter.com/6X6LFNEZEH— Hürriyet Daily News (@HDNER) December 17, 2016
One of the main cities of central Turkey, Kayersi is a key industrial hub that is usually seen as a peaceful area.
The city is well west of the southeast of the country that has been hit by months of deadly fighting between Kurdish militants and the security forces.
It comes a week after a twin bombing outside a football stadium in Istanbul, claimed by Kurdish militants, killed more than 40 people and wounded more than 100.
Turkish media are quoting the country’s deputy prime minister as saying the Kayseri blast is similar to last week’s twin attack in Istanbul.
LIVE — Deputy PM Kaynak: Blast in Kayseri resembles one carried out by PKK-linked terrorists in Istanbul last week… …— The Ankara Times (@TheAnkaraTimes) December 17, 2016
Fifty-five people in hospital after Turkey bus bombing: minister https://t.co/hrcmzcm6y0pic.twitter.com/Zm3ewnnJay— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) December 17, 2016