Scenes of chaos and panic could be seen in Brussels shortly after two blasts ripped through Zaventem Airport at around 8am CET. At least ten people were killed and around a hundred injured as a result.
Brussels’ regional governor said three bombs had been taken into the airport – one didn’t explode. Belgian media report an unexploded bomb belt was found at the scene.
One blast ‘probably suicide bomber’
The federal prosecutor said one of the explosions was most likely triggered by a suicide bomber.
Eyewitnesses report hearing Arabic and gunfire shortly before the blasts, which are believed to have occurred at a check-in desk. Belgian police later said they found a Kalashnikov assault rifle next to the body of a suspected attacker, public broadcaster VRT reported.
Airport closed until further notice
Thousands of people pass through Brussels International Airport every day.
One of Europe’s busiest transport hubs, it will remain closed on Wednesday, CEO Arnaud Feist as announced. He says a decision has yet to be taken on whether flights will resume on Thursday.
Security stepped up worldwide
The blasts have provoked heightened security measures at transport centres worldwide.
British police have said they will step up their presence. New York and New Jersey airports have also increased security and Germany, France and the Netherlands have announced extra surveillance measures.
The last major incident at a European airport was in Glasgow in 2007, when two people attempted to drive a jeep full of propane canisters into the terminal building.