Malaysia declares flight MH370 crash an "accident"

Malaysia declares flight MH370 crash an "accident"
Copyright 
By Euronews with Reuters
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button

The crash that caused the loss of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has officially been declared an accident. The Boeing 777 aircraft disappeared on

ADVERTISEMENT

The crash that caused the loss of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has officially been declared an accident.

The Boeing 777 aircraft disappeared on March 8 last year, carrying 239 passengers and crew shortly after taking off from the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur, bound for Beijing.

The verdict of Malaysia’s Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) now clears the way for the national carrier to pay compensation to victims’ relatives.

Announcing the decision, the CAA’s chief said the company would fulfil its obligations.

“We officially declare Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 an accident…and that all 239 people onboard are presumed to have lost their lives,” said Department of Civil Aviation director-general Azharuddin Abdul Rahman in a statement.

“The government of Malaysia assures that Malaysia
Airlines will undertake their responsibilities in relation tothe legitimate rights and interests of the next-of-kin,” he added.

Most of the passengers on the plane were from Beijing and many of their relatives have no faith in Malaysia’s findings.

“We’re very upset and hurt. This isn’t possible. We don’t believe a bit of what they’re saying,” said one woman as she watched the announcement being delivered.

Malaysian authorities, however, insist the search in the Indian Ocean for the missing jet will continue along with a criminal investigation.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

Dozens killed in major flooding in Brazil's southern Rio Grande do Sul state

Ukraine war: Russian strike hits apartment building, over a dozen killed

Double tap Russian strike kills and injures dozens in Ukraine's Odesa