Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orban has offered to open up his country to refugees – but only those seeking sanctuary from the liberal policies of western Europe.
In the annual state of the nation address Orban insisted that Hungary was facing attacks in five areas:
- from migrants, moving through the Balkans towards central and western Europe
- from billionaire George Soros, whom Orban accuses of funding anti-government groups
- from EU challenges to his attempts to fix energy prices
- from EU efforts to synchronise tax policies
- from EU efforts to control funding for job creation
“Of course we can give shelter to the real refugees: Germans, Dutch, French, Italians; scared politicians and journalists; Christians who had to flee their own country; those people who want to find here the Europe that they lost at their home,” he noted to applause.