The Iranian government has carried out a medium range missile test launch.
According to US officials it took place on Sunday at a site east of Tehran. The missile was one which had been previously tested.
The White House says it is investigating whether the launch violates a United Nations resolution calling on Iran not to carry out activities related to ballistic missiles capable of deliversing nuclear weapons.
In 2015 Tehran agreed to strict constraints on its atomic programme in exchange for an end to economic sanctions that had throttled the nation’s economy. It’s a deal which President Donald Trump, has called “ the worst ever negotiated.”
News of the latest test comes as French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault arrived in the Iranian capital for a two-day visit.
Ayrault vowed that France would act as defender of Iran’s nuclear deal, saying it was in the “common interest” that the 2015 accord was obeyed.”
He said that while Iran had “largely” honored the deal’s terms, it had tested the spirit of the accord over the past year by carrying out several ballistic missile tests.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.