BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Angola: 'Rebel' Luaty Beirão ends hunger strike


Angola

Angola: 'Rebel' Luaty Beirão ends hunger strike

Popular Angolan rapper Luaty Beirão has ended a hunger strike which he began on September 21, 2015.

He is due to go on trial in mid-November, accused along with 14 others, of rebelling against the President Jose dos Santos.

The 33-year-old had been in hospital in Luanda for five days. He is said to have lost 15 kilos during the hunger strike.

The head of the regional office of Amnesty International, Deprose Muchena, described his condition as “critical”.

Luaty Beirão was arrested on June 20 along with 14 other campaigners. They say they were exercising their right to freedom of expression by demanding that the president resign.

They also demanded better living conditions. Angola is suffering the consequences of the global drop in petrol prices.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

UNGA: former president may face further charges