Donald Trump’s presidential ambitions have taken another hit after NBC cut ties with the real estate mogul after his controversial comments about Mexicans when he announced his bid for the presidency last week.
NBC said the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, a joint venture between the TV network and Trump, would no longer air on NBC ‘due to the derogatory statements’ regarding immigrants.
During his announcement on June 16 that he was seeking the Republican Party nomination for the November 2016 presidential election he said:
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you; they’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”
Ora TV owned by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim also decided to cancel a project with Trump. American Spanish language broadcaster Univision also dropped the Miss competitions.
Mexico announced that they will not be sending a candidate to the Miss Universe competition in light of the remarks.
Far from backtracking, Trump threatened legal action against NBC saying they were ‘foolish to not understand the serious illegal immigration problem in the United States’.