05/01/15 05:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An underground beer pipeline is to be installed beneath Belgium’s medieval city of Bruges.
The idea behind it is to cut the number of lorries carrying beer through the city’s cobbled streets.
Around 500 tankers will be taken off Bruges’ roads each year by the pipeline which will be made from high quality plastic.
“This is stronger than a steel pipe. It’s really very strong. So we are quite confident that no leaks or illegal tapping points will be there,” said confident brewery owner Xavier Vanneste
The pipe will link De Halve Maan brewery to a bottling plant 3km away and will be capable of carrying 6,000 litres an hour.
It will take will take 10 to 15 minutes for the prized liquid it to reach its destination.
The decision enables the brewing of beer on the same Bruges city centre site where it has continued for 500 years.
The project, the cost of which hasn’t yet been revealed, is due to begin this year.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 4Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 5Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 04:01 CET Missing journalists held captive by Colombia’s ELN rebels -…
- 03:58 CET As ties deepen, elite U.S., Vietnam forces eye possible opening
- 03:20 CET South Korea fires warning shots after boats from North cross sea…
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…