By Chris Harris | With AFPFollow @lyonanglais
11/03/14 15:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A teenage boy has died nine months after being hit on the head by a tear gas cannister during Turkey’s anti-government protests.
Berkin Elvan, 15, died at an Istanbul hospital, around 6am CET. He had been in a coma since being wounded while on the way to buy bread in June.
The news sparked protests outside the hospital, with police using tear gas to disperse angry crowds.
His family announced his death with a short message on Twitter.
Halkımıza : Saat 07.00 Berkin Elvan’ı evladımızı kaybettik. Başımız sağolsun.— Berkin Elvan (@Berkin_Elvan) March 11, 2014
The youngster’s death takes the death toll from the protesters to seven. More than 8,000 were injured. One policeman was also killed.
Shortly after the teenager’s death was announced, hundreds gathered outside the hospital where he had been in a coma for 269 days.
The gathering erupted into violence when dozens of protesters threw stones at a police bus. Officers used tear gas to disperse the crowds, according to a photographer from Agence France Presse.
Latest #BerkinElvan tweets
By Chris Harris | With AFPMore about:
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the footy
- 3Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 4What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Wires > News
- 20:08 CET Italy rescues over 3,300 migrants over weekend
- 20:01 CET Pride parade steps off in New York under Orlando’s shadow
- 19:41 CET Israel and Turkey agree to normalise ties – senior Israeli official
- 18:55 CET Turkish police fire tear gas in Istanbul to disperse Gay Pride…
- 18:51 CET Italy arrests second most wanted mafia boss
- 17:57 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 17:54 CET Fallout from British EU vote alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 17:31 CET Rosatom’s global nuclear ambition cramped by Kremlin politics