By Thomas SeymatFollow @tseymat
03/03/14 03:36 CET
Jared Leto, the former teen heartthrob who left Hollywood to become a rock star, won the best supporting actor Oscar on Sunday in his return to movies as an HIV positive transgender woman in ‘Dallas Buyers Club’.
Leto, 42, won over both critics and audiences with his portrayal of Rayon in the 1980s era AIDS drama, and was seen as favorite for the supporting actor Oscar.
His acceptance speech moved audience and critics alike. Here is a transcript of it:
“Incredible. Ellen, I love you. To my fellow nominees, I’m so proud to share this journey with you. I’m in awe and have so much respect for you all. To the Academy, thank you.
“In 1971, Bossier City, Louisiana, there was a teenage girl who was pregnant with her second child. She was a high school dropout and a single mom, but somehow she managed to make a better life for herself and her children. She encouraged her kids to be creative, to work hard and to do something special.
“That girl is my mother and she’s here tonight. And I just want to say, I love you, Mom. Thank you for teaching me to dream.
“To my brother, Shannon, the best big brother in the world, you’re a true artist. Thank you so much for sharing this insane and amazing adventure that is 30 Seconds to Mars, and for being my best friend. I love you. Thank you.
“To all the dreamers out there around the world watching this tonight in places like the Ukraine and Venezuela, I want to say we are here and as you struggle to… to make your dreams happen, to live the impossible… We’re thinking of you tonight.
“And this is, is incredibly special as well because there’s so many people that helped me get here. And I just want to say thank you to Focus Features, to Mick Sullivan, to Jim Toth, to Jason Weinberg, to Emma Ludbrook, to Kelly Adams, to the entire Dallas Buyers Club team. Matthew, I love. Jean-Marc.
“And this is for the 36 million people who have lost the battle to AIDS and to those of you out there who have ever felt injustice because of who you are or who you love. Tonight I stand here in front of the world with you and for you. Thank you so much and goodnight.”
By Thomas SeymatMore about:
- 1French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 2Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 3Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
- 4Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 5Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5France awards Legion of Honour to men who disarmed train gunman
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
What’s happening this week 31/08/15
And also…Star Wars ‘religion’ warning, Edward Snowden as you have never seen him before and deaf and blind drivers
Rugby World Cup 2015: Burgess named in England squad as Cipriani left out
Exclusive: EU should create immigrant processing centre in Turkey, says German minister
Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser released on Instagram
Wires > News
- 01:39 CET Fire at Saudi oil workers’ compound kills 10, many injured
- 21:40 CET Islamic State destroys part of Syria’s Temple of Bel – monitors
- 21:05 CET Egypt sets October election date, after three years without…
- 19:23 CET U.S., allies conduct 20 air strikes against Islamic State – …
- 18:21 CET Swazi police confirm 13 die in crash en route to royal ceremony
- 17:49 CET Scioli expands lead in Argentina presidential race, runoff seen
- 17:33 CET Obama invites Pakistan PM Sharif for October visit – adviser Rice
- 17:06 CET Greek leftists say they would apply bailout but fight to ease pain