By Thomas SeymatFollow @tseymat
03/03/14 03:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Jared Leto, the former teen heartthrob who left Hollywood to become a rock star, won the best supporting actor Oscar on Sunday in his return to movies as an HIV positive transgender woman in ‘Dallas Buyers Club’.
Leto, 42, won over both critics and audiences with his portrayal of Rayon in the 1980s era AIDS drama, and was seen as favorite for the supporting actor Oscar.
His acceptance speech moved audience and critics alike. Here is a transcript of it:
“Incredible. Ellen, I love you. To my fellow nominees, I’m so proud to share this journey with you. I’m in awe and have so much respect for you all. To the Academy, thank you.
“In 1971, Bossier City, Louisiana, there was a teenage girl who was pregnant with her second child. She was a high school dropout and a single mom, but somehow she managed to make a better life for herself and her children. She encouraged her kids to be creative, to work hard and to do something special.
“That girl is my mother and she’s here tonight. And I just want to say, I love you, Mom. Thank you for teaching me to dream.
“To my brother, Shannon, the best big brother in the world, you’re a true artist. Thank you so much for sharing this insane and amazing adventure that is 30 Seconds to Mars, and for being my best friend. I love you. Thank you.
“To all the dreamers out there around the world watching this tonight in places like the Ukraine and Venezuela, I want to say we are here and as you struggle to… to make your dreams happen, to live the impossible… We’re thinking of you tonight.
“And this is, is incredibly special as well because there’s so many people that helped me get here. And I just want to say thank you to Focus Features, to Mick Sullivan, to Jim Toth, to Jason Weinberg, to Emma Ludbrook, to Kelly Adams, to the entire Dallas Buyers Club team. Matthew, I love. Jean-Marc.
“And this is for the 36 million people who have lost the battle to AIDS and to those of you out there who have ever felt injustice because of who you are or who you love. Tonight I stand here in front of the world with you and for you. Thank you so much and goodnight.”
By Thomas SeymatMore about:
- 1Putin warns Finland: Russia will respond if Helsinki joins NATO
- 2Brexit sparks a political drama in the UK likened to the House of Cards
- 3ISIL claims responsibility for deadly Bangladesh siege and gun attack – Amaq
- 4EU extends sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- 5Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
Wires > News
- 00:56 CET Gingrich, Christie lead Trump list of vice presidential options
- 00:16 CET Pacific Alliance must reject Brexit path, seek integration -leaders
- 00:11 CET Gunmen attack cafe in Bangladesh capital, Italians among hostages
- 23:48 CET Air strike kills two Islamic State military commanders – Pentagon
- 23:39 CET U.S. says kills up to 116 civilians in strikes outside war zones
- 22:48 CET Italy’s biggest Chinese community clashes with police near Florence
- 21:07 CET U.N. rights investigator urges Myanmar to crack down on religious…
- 20:44 CET U.S. attorney general to accept FBI findings in Clinton email probe