By Thomas SeymatFollow @tseymat
17/02/14 17:32 CET
Update: Tuesday, February 18 - 10:30AM CET It has emerged that little Marwan, while separated from his family for a period of time , was not alone in the desert. According to a journalist on the Open Newsroom G+ page who spoke to a UNHCR staff on the scene, the child was “20 steps” ahead of his family, in a column of refugees. More details at the end of the article
Hala Gorani, a reporter and anchor for CNN International, tweeted on Monday a picture telling a tragic story: UN staff in Jordan found a four-year-old boy named Marwan crossing the desert alone after being separated from his family while fleeing Syria.
Gorani later added another tweet saying that, according to the UNHCR, Marwan was found in the Jordanian desert, with his possession in a small plastic bag.
Marwan was later reunited with his family.
Syria’s nearly three-year-old conflict has killed more than 130,000 people and forced six million to leave their homes, Reuters reports. The UNHCR says 2,486,000 refugees have fled Syria and relocated in the Middle East region.
The picture was originally posted by Andrew Harper, the UNHCR’s Representative in Jordan on Sunday, as his team were receiving Syria refugees crossing to eastern Jordan.
It has emerged that little Marwan, while separated from his family for a period of time, was not alone in the desert. In a discussion thread on the Open Newsroom G+ page, an open journalistic community, Guardian journalist Shiv Malik, who spoke to a UNHCR press officer on the scene, said the child was “20 steps” ahead of his family, in a column of refugees.
Read the Storify of the discussion here:
By Thomas SeymatMore about:
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies in Spain
Striking photos of the ‘not at all blue’ moon
UAE petrol prices start riding high
David Cameron moves to protect children from online porn
And also… Porn on parliament computers; crowdfunding for historic space suit; and drunk badger sleeps it off on beach
Wires > News
- 22:44 CET Rouhani says nuclear deal a ‘third way’ for Iranian foreign policy
- 21:48 CET Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 21:21 CET Egypt president signs elections law – official gazette
- 19:49 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 19:33 CET Plane skids off Indonesian runway, three injured and airport closed
- 19:00 CET Merkel’s German conservatives set sights on absolute majority
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…