A question from Mary in Dublin, who asks euronews: “I am Irish and will be going on holiday across several European countries this summer. Should I still worry about roaming costs?”
Nina Koudelkova, Europe Direct Communication Officer, explains about the costs of roaming with a mobile phone around the EU:
“When you use your mobile phone in other EU countries – to call, text or go online – the European Union’s Roaming Regulation limits what your operator can charge you.
“Throughout the EU, the ‘Eurotariff’ for roaming means the cost of using these services is capped, putting a stop to excessive prices.
“From 1 July 2013, it costs 24 eurocents per minute to make a call, 7 eurocents per minute to receive a call, 8 eurocents to text, and 45 eurocents per MB to use your data connection. These tariffs will be further reduced starting on 1 July 2014.
“Unless you have opted for a specific service or package, these price caps automatically apply. You should be informed by your operator of the charges that will apply once you have crossed the border.
“To protect you against excessive data roaming bills, the volume of downloaded data on your mobile device is capped, worldwide, at €50 or the equivalent in another currency, unless you have agreed to a different limit with your operator. You will also receive a warning when you reach 80% of this agreed limit.
“If you think your service provider has breached your rights and charged you more for the use of roaming services, you should first contact the service provider pointing out your rights and their obligations and ask them to solve the problem before you’re forced to take the matter further.
“If you’re not satisfied with your provider’s response, you can contact the relevant national telecommunications regulatory authorities. In many cases, they have set up special procedures and sort things out fairly and quickly.
“You can submit complaints to them about terms and conditions, quality of service, access to networks and services, and roaming services.”
For more information about the EU, call 00 800 6 7 8 9 10 11 or check out the website: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens
If you would also like to ask a question on Utalk, click on the button below.More about:
Copyright © 2016 euronews
- 1Turkish forces attack Syrian and Kurdish positions in northern Syria
- 2Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
- 3Exclusive: Syria would be ‘chaos’ if Assad ousted, says Medvedev
- 4Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 5Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 3‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
- 4Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 5Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 3Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon