EventsEventsPodcasts
Loader
Find Us
ADVERTISEMENT

Trapped caver Mark Dickey brought closer to the surface by rescuers in Turkey

In this screen grab from video, American caver Mark Dickey, 40, talks to camera next to a colleague inside the Morca cave near Anamur, southern Turkey, Thursday, Sept. 7, 2023
In this screen grab from video, American caver Mark Dickey, 40, talks to camera next to a colleague inside the Morca cave near Anamur, southern Turkey, Thursday, Sept. 7, 2023 Copyright Turkish Government Directorate of Communications/AP
Copyright Turkish Government Directorate of Communications/AP
By Euronews with AP
Published on Updated
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below:Copy to clipboardCopied

The caver spent the night resting at base camp. Rescuers now say they hope to have him out "tonight or tomorrow"

ADVERTISEMENT

Rescue teams on Monday announced they had brought an American researcher up from 1,040 metres below ground to 180 metres from the surface. On Sunday, he was brought to a base camp at 700 metres below ground level to rest before the next stage of the operation.

The latest development was revealed by Turkey's Speleology Federation on X.

An experienced caver, Mark Dickey, started vomiting on September 2 because of stomach bleeding while on an expedition with a handful of others in the Morca cave in southern Turkey’s Taurus Mountains, one of the deepest in the world, according to experts.

A rescue operation began Saturday afternoon with doctors, paramedics and experienced cavers from across Europe rushing to help.

They set up small medical base camps at various levels along the shaft, providing Dickey an opportunity to rest during the slow and arduous extrication.

“Mark was delivered to the campsite at -700 metres as of 03:24 local time (GMT+3). At this stage, he will set out again after resting and having the necessary treatments,” the Speleological Federation of Turkey wrote on its official account on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Turkish authorities said there are 190 personnel from eight countries taking part in the operation, 153 of them search and rescue experts.

The most challenging part of the rescue operation is widening the narrow cave passages to allow stretcher lines to pass through at low depths, Yusuf Ogrenecek of the speleological federation previously said.

The extraction is expected to take up to 10 days, depending on his condition.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

Brussels, my love? Is Turkey the best mediator in the Ukraine war?

Researcher trapped more than 3,000 feet inside a cave in southern Turkey

Explorer thought he would die while trapped 1,000 metres underground in a Turkish cave