Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

Second person dies following crush at London concert

Second person dies following crush at London concert
Copyright 
By Reuters
Published on
Share Comments
Share Close Button

(This Dec. 19 story has been officially corrected to fix the gender of Gaby Hutchinson after a police update)

LONDON - A second person has died from injuries suffered last week during a crush at a music concert at London's Brixton Academy, British police said on Monday.

Gaby Hutchinson, 23, a security guard who was on duty at the event died in hospital in the early hours of Monday, police said.

He was one of three people critically injured before a performance by the Nigerian Afrobeats singer and songwriter Asake on Thursday evening.

London's police said a large number of people were attempting to force their way into the venue. Officers are reviewing CCTV, phone footage and speaking to witnesses to try to understand what happened.

On Saturday, police said another person at the venue, Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, had died from her injuries in hospital.

"It is devastating news that a second person has lost their life following the events on Thursday," Colin Wingrove, a chief superintendent in London's Metropolitan Police Service, said in a statement on Monday.

Both Asake and Brixton Academy posted messages of condolences to Ikumelo's family and friends on their Twitter accounts after the announcement of her death.

Police said Ikumelo, Hutchinson, and a 21-year-old woman who remains in a critical condition in hospital, were all in the foyer of the building.

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

At least 13 people killed by Israeli forces during raid on a southern Syrian village

Travel disruption: Thousands of Airbus planes grounded after faulty software detected

Latest news bulletin | November 29th, 2025 – Morning