Newsletter Newsletters Events Events Podcasts Videos Africanews
Loader
Advertisement

Bangladesh arrests hundreds for violence against Hindus

Bangladesh arrests hundreds for violence against Hindus
Bangladesh arrests hundreds for violence against Hindus Copyright  Thomson Reuters 2021
Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021
By Reuters
Published on
Share Comments
Share Close Button

NEW DELHI - Bangladeshi police said on Tuesday that 450 people had been arrested in the Muslim-majority nation after attacks against Hindus in some of the worst such unrest for over a decade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

At least six people have died, local media reported, as police have fought to restrain angry mobs.

The violence https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/hundreds-protest-bangladesh-over-religious-violence-2021-10-18 began on Friday when hundreds of Muslims protested in the southeastern Noakhali district accusing Hindus of a blasphemous incident involving the Koran.

Several Hindu religious sites have been vandalised, and homes attacked.

Authorities have filed 71 cases in connection with the violence during the Hindu festival of Durga Puja, a Bangladesh police spokesman said. Investigations were ongoing after the arrest of 450 suspected culprits, he added.

Communal tensions have long simmered in Bangladesh, whose constitution designates Islam as the state religion but also upholds the principle of secularism.

Hindus make up around 10% of the population.

The unrest is among the worst in Bangladesh since Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's Awami League party came to power in 2009.

"Recent attacks on Hindus of Bangladesh, fuelled by hate speech on social media, are against the values of the Constitution and need to stop," tweeted Mia Seppo, the United Nations' resident coordinator in Bangladesh.

Rights group Amnesty International called for an investigation and punishment for perpetrators.

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments

Read more

Latest news bulletin | May 19th, 2026 – Morning

Russia maintains heightened intensity as it unleashes another major nighttime barrage at Ukraine

Trump: I called off attack on Iran planned for Tuesday