New Zealand police kill 'terrorist' after he stabs 6 people in Auckland supermarket

Police stand outside the site of a knife attack at a supermarket in Auckland.
Police stand outside the site of a knife attack at a supermarket in Auckland. Copyright AP Photo/Brett Phibbs
By AP with Euronews
Share this articleComments
Share this articleClose Button
Copy/paste the article video embed link below:Copy to clipboardCopied

An ISIS supporter stabbed and injured six people in an Auckland supermarket before police shot and killed him, New Zealand authorities said on Friday.


A violent extremist inspired by the self-proclaimed Islamic State group stabbed and injured six supermarket shoppers in Auckland before police shot and killed him, New Zealand authorities said on Friday.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described the incident as a terror attack.

She said the man was a Sri Lankan national who had arrived in New Zealand in 2011.

Ardern said he was well known to the nation's security agencies and was being monitored around the clock.

The country's leader explained that by law, the man was not allowed to be kept in prison.

Ardern said that three of those who had been stabbed were seriously injured.

“This was a violent attack. It was senseless,” Ardern said. “And I am so sorry that it happened.”

The attack unfolded at about 2:40 p.m. local time at a Countdown supermarket in New Zealand's largest city, Auckland.

Ardern said that because the man was under constant monitoring, a police surveillance team and a special tactics group were able to shoot and kill him within 60 seconds of the attack starting.

Police Commissioner Andrew Coster said they had concerns about the man's ideology and kept very close tabs on him. Coster said they followed him from his home to the supermarket on Friday.

“He entered the store, as he had done before. He obtained a knife from within the store,” Coster said. “Surveillance teams were as close as they possibly could be to monitor his activity.”

Coster said that when the commotion started, two police from the special tactics group rushed over. He said the man approached police with the knife and so they shot and killed him.

One bystander video taken inside the supermarket records the sound of ten shots being fired in rapid succession.

Ardern said legal constraints prevented her from discussing everything that she wanted to about the case, but she was hoping to have those constraints lifted soon.

Some shoppers in the supermarket reportedly tried to help those who had been wounded with towels and diapers.

“To everyone who was there and who witnessed such a horrific event, I can't imagine how they will be feeling in the aftermath,” Ardern said. “But thank you for coming to the aid of those who needed you when they needed you.”

Auckland is currently in a strict lockdown as it battles an outbreak of the coronavirus. Most businesses are shut and people are generally allowed to leave their homes only to buy groceries, for medical needs or to exercise.

Share this articleComments

You might also like

Women's World Cup: Spain cruise past Costa Rica as Switzerland beat Philippines

Women's World Cup: Australia beats Ireland, as hosts New Zealand stun Norway on opening day

A gunman in New Zealand kills 2 people ahead of Women's World Cup tournament