Loader
Advertisement

Bomb threats force evacuation of Moscow landmarks

Bomb threats force evacuation of Moscow landmarks
Copyright 
By Euronews
Published on
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google
Share Close Button

Bolshoi theatre, Metropole hotel and Red Square GUM department store among buildings evacuated.

Thousands of people were evacuated from Moscow landmarks on Sunday after police received an anonymous tip off about a bomb threat targetting buildings in the Russian capital, including the renowned Bolshoi theatre, Metropol hotel and the Red Square GUM department store.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

A recent spate of anonymous phone calls warning authorities of imminent bomb attacks have caused disruption at shopping centres, train stations and public buildings across Russia over the past two months.

However, the tip offs have so far proved to be false alarms and there have been no claims of responsibility.

Alexander Bortnikov, head of the country’s FSB security service has previously said authorities know the identities of those responsible, saying they are four Russian citizens based abroad with “accomplices” inside Russia.

Go to accessibility shortcuts
Share Comments Add Euronews on Google

Read more

Russia upholds Yabloko party's election ban and jails its deputy chair

Russia jails man over spying for Poland one day after Warsaw foils assassination plot

Over 16,000 Ukrainian civilians remain detained and tortured by Russia, UN says